The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do all of this cross end up with airplane ears?? I am shallow in that perspective lol. Bought an "open" doe 4 months ago who is now in labor. Noticed an udder forming a week 1/2 ago. The lady then mentioned her alpine buck had escaped for three days while she was on vacation q: opportunistic booger! Lol. Hoping for healthy non airplane eared doe kid(s)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
There is a high chance that they will have airplane ears.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
yeah, pretty much. I love airplane ears, lol. I suppose you could always tape some weights to the kid's ears as soon as they are born and hope it makes them pendulous? lol! <------- this is joke, before anyone gets upset, lol.

·
Super Moderator
58,921 Posts
Hey, it was a free breeding and if the kids don't offset the whole price, they will offset at least some of it. If you want milk, you will also have milk through the winter.

I don't mind milking one goat in winter. Rather have the fresh milk.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I'm just upset she's bred ): I guess healthy babies is all that matters
I don't blame you, especially if you bought her as open so you could breed her to the buck of your choice. yeah, healthy kids are important but this could set back YOUR breeding plans a whole year and there is no shame in being less than thrilled about that.

I have seen some really lovely nubian/alpine mix kids, though. I wouldn't mind adding one to my herd. The few I have seen have been very milky. I had a friend on facebook with some for sale and I was sorely tempted. I had to keep repeating to myself "I do not need any more goats, I do not need anymore goats".

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, although she is an outstanding young doe, she has a third fishtailed teat D; I was being VERY choosy of the buck I was going to use. He probably won't be available next year. Need to throw more clean teated genes!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
We have three Nubian alpine cross doelings. I personally love them. Their dams are Alpines; we had borrowed a registered Nubian buck. They are very sweet and pretty creatures. Lemme see if I can find a picture-if you don't mind? I don't want to hijack your thread. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts