The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a couple of Questions about MiniNubians and Nubians...

(1) Will the triplets I had born the other day keep their floppy ears or will they start to stand up a little as they get older? I just knew that they weren't as long as some of the ones I have seen on here and that Robin's aren't really that long either.

(2) These would be first generation MiniNubians (they can't be registered).. what would you breed them with next? I am not keeping any of these this time but I was wanting to know exactly how it worked... I know that eventually you should have MiniNubians that are my Mini's size with the floppy ears... but didn't know which cross breedings to do and when....

(3) Also, I am CONSIDERING purchasing a Registered Nubian Doe this Summer/Fall, to breed with the registered Nigerian Dwarf Buck that I hope to have by then. Any suggestions? If I do purchase one, then it will be the first registered Nubian I will have ever owned... so any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! I think there is actually a local breeder around here... I have got to see if I can find their number again and I will check and see what bloodlines they have :wink:

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
What percentage of nubian and nigerian are you kids that were born the other day? If they are fifty fifty more then likely they will have airplane ears and have more control over their ears. I doubt they will go up as the get older.
Depending on how they gros you may want to bred them to another mini nubian, one with good breed chacter. Or even a nubian from a smallish line. to add more of the nubian breed chacter, as you are trying to keep the small size.
As for purchasing a registered doe, i always tell people to buy the best that they can afford. You will be happier in the long run. A well bred doe is going to last a lot longer then a poorly bred one. She will hold up for many more years of kiddings and lactations. It cost the same amount of money to feed a well bred doe who is going to last longer for you then a poorly bred doe who won't hold up to the true meanings of being a dairy goat.
beth

1 - 3 of 3 Posts