Nubian breeding?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Crissa, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Okay Lyric is a year old! And Heidi is 10 months old. I'm considering breeding them soon. What do you think? And is it too late to? Thanks!

2. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

how much do they weigh? You may have one more heat cycle from them. Its hard to twll and depends on where you live. Goats go into heat depending on how many daylight hours there are.
    beth

3. LiddleGoteGurl

LiddleGoteGurl New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    Nope, it is definitely not too late.. and definitely not too early!! They would probably be just fine to breed.

I am not breeding Pixie this year, only because she is so small. But I will be breeding her next year. Usually as long as they are bred by about three years old they are usually fine.

4. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I'm breeding my pygmy this month if I get a buck so I would say it's o.k. as long as you do it realatively soon.

5. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    Splash will be a year old on the 24th of this month, and I definately will not breed her until she is 80 pounds, because she is sooo small. How much do you think they weigh?

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

the difference with pygmys and nubians is a nubian and most dairy goats are seasonal breeders where a pygmy can be bred year round.
    beth

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Nubians tend to have a longer season so if you find a buck in the next few weeks you have a good chance of hitting one of their last heats (if not the last).

Worth a try at least.

8. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I don't think it's too late either. Do you have any idea how much they weigh?

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I try and wait till they are at least 80 lbs but sometimes i will breed them at sixty five or seventy if they are kidding in june or somthing. The warmer weather usually encourages a growth spurt and so does the hormones of having babies inside them usually about three months into the pregnancy. I have a soon to be yearling that i was going to hold over as dry for this year because she was a little small but now she has almost caught up with her sister who is already bred and now i think im going to breed her, she weighs about seventy five lbs but won;t be kidding until mid or late june so has a lot of more grow time.
    beth

10. LiddleGoteGurl

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    Oh lol I mis-interpreted the question.. :D. Yep, I don't think it is too late. Do you notice them go into heat?

11. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Okay, I'm not for sure how much they weigh I've estimated around eighty pounds but I'm going to try and convince one of my parents to take me up to the school barn long enough to weigh them. Heidi is the larger of the two, I'm not quite sure about Lyric yet though, she's not as tall as Heidi but she's wider. How exactly can I tell that they are in heat? I can tell when my sheep is.

12. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

their vulvas may turn more pink or red then usual, they will wag thatir tails a lot more. Though sometimes this can be deceiving, as my goats wag when they see me. But if you notice them wagging their tails when they are eating their grain. Its a different wag then you would see when they are happy, its a little more slow not so vigerous, and at short intervoles they will wag for a few seconds then stop then wag again then stop. they may cry more then usual, there may be discharge on their tails.
    hope this helps
    beth

13. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Yep I've seen that! I think they were like that when it was a little warmer then usual over here!

14. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Here's one of Farm Girls bucks that I'm thinking of breeding my girls too. Do you think he'd be a good match?
    [​IMG]
    Heidi
    [​IMG]
    Lyric
    [​IMG]

15. LiddleGoteGurl

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    Well.. it is kind of hard to tell because he is really not set up that well, but he appears to be a little high in his rear end, steep in his rump and posty (not enough angulation) in his rear legs. But that could be the way he is standing. Have you ever seen him in person?

16. LiddleGoteGurl

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    If I was you, I would look for a buck that has as flat and wide a rump as possible on him. That seems to be a weak spot on Heidi and Lyric.

17. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    What does that buck's dam look like? Bucks with not so good conformation don't always pass that on to their kids, there have been a lot of not so good looking bucks that have thrown nice kids.
    Farm girl, he is handsome though, I love his color :)

18. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    His Dam is Nubilop Acres Aspen Rose, here's a pic from when she was younger, wish I could get a recent pic of her....

[​IMG]

And here's his granddam Nubilop Acres Teacup Rose

[​IMG]

He has matured alot since that pic, and no he wasn't set up very well.

19. LiddleGoteGurl

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    Yeah, farm girl, he is really pretty! His coloring is awesome. His dam and granddam look really nice :D. I would say that would be fine Crissa... their rumps are not very steep at all.

20. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Ditto what Katherine said, his dam is very long and tall, I think he'd be a nice cross with Lyric :)