Nubian Experts needed

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by jdgray716, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Ok, so I am thinking on getting a Nubian Doe and wanted to know what tips you all have for me. I know I know...I should know this one. Bottom line is Myotonics are far different when it comes to health issues etc. I am looking for info specific to the breed I may not know with having only meat goats. Thanks

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what are you going to use her for? will you be breeding her to a myotonic or to another nubian? show quality or brush goat quality?

3. Honestly I am thinking of breeding in the color and breeding out the Nubian to start some new lines with color. I have several options and will pick what looks to be best in conformation but I do not plan to show, milk, or breed as of yet. In time I would like to get some dairy to milk I just don't see it happening now with all I have in a days work. Hope that helps.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you can mix in nubian and still have them registrable as myotonic?

5. Yes, the first set of kids from a 100% buck would be 50%. 75% when those kids are bred. 87% when they are bred and so forth. Just like with percentages in other breeds. Once they are back to FB I would have new spotted lines. If anyone things that spots just showed up in this breed they are not real bright. At some point the genes were bred in. The problem is many of the same lines are being used now and at some point most of these goats go back to one or another goat or breeding. This would be my own project that I would not be breeding for others but for myself and future lines.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well if you want color and you dotn want the nubian characteristics then I dont suggest you purchase a nubian that is top high quality because then it might be hard to breed out the roman nose and ears and body type. It might be easier ot get a less then top quality doe who has the coloring you are looking for. One who is from a long line of spotted goats. Coloring is hard to breed for but it can be done obviously :)

7. Yea, I was more thinking angulation in the rear and top line. But I see your point there too. I will keep that in mind.

8. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Ummmm.... don't know where you are shopping JD but there are TONS of purebred spotted myotonics with exceptional breed type as well. :) I don't think you need to go nubian for spots...... unless you are planning on starting a new breed??? Nubitonics??? LOL :slapfloor:

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    A lot of the conformation stuff is about the same - you want good width between the hocks, nice sloping back from withers to rump. They are a skinnier animal - we call it "dairy" Check for loose shoulders - can you fit your finger between the shoulder blade and the withers? if so thats not a good thing. Nice straight feet, not toeing out in the back or front.

10. Yes Jess, I know but almost all the goats you get now come from the same lines. Trust me, Sharron has had a time finding new lines out there. Really study the lines and you will see many of the same goats or breedings are in many of the back grounds in the moonspotted Myotonics. Just like with the TMG's and Texmasters. Only thing there is the lines are so many from the main farm it is not as hard to get around. But bottom line is most go back to Deer Springs, while a few others go back to Bechkeld or one other line in TN. The rest really are slim pickings. However, I spoke to Sharron tonight and have come up with a new plan as the Nubian trates will take too long to breed out so I am working on some other options that were in the air. However, with the three I just got and one to come I have most of R Faintings good breedings, Deer Springs, and a good portion of Bechkeld in just these goats.

11. deJardine

deJardine New Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    I don't mean to be rude by asking this but is your interest in breeding for color or breeding for overall type/ or breed character of a Nubian? I am just confused...

12. No I understand. For this question it was color I was breeding into my breed. However, I was not looking to have the Nubian traits so much but I am not now going with the Nubian after extra thought and ideas I have found another way to go. And no I did not find you rude, I am sure this was a bit confusinf for some.