nubian gave birth to 3 and has no milk

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sixshooterfarm, Jan 21, 2008.

1. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok, got an email from a guy who's nubian doe gave birth to 3 bucklings, her very first freshening she had 5, yes 5 babies. Well he says she has no milk whatso ever and usually she has lots of milk, this is her fourth birth. If any one has reasons and causes as to why she dosent have any milk please let me know, thanks,Rachel

2. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

So im confused did she have three or five? He needs to call the local vet or some more local goat farmers and see if he can get a hold of some colostrum first off. Or he may be able to get some colostrum replacer at the feed store.
    That would be the first order of business.
    beth

3. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Beth she had three this time but 5 her first freshening.(This is her 4th)Does that help?

4. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Goatnutty thats right, 5 babies her very first freshning, this would be her 4th freshning and she had 3 bucklings. Anyways I got more to the story, she had an udder, and still has an udder, but no milk was coming out of it, it was just hard and no milk was coming out of it. When the babies were born she was able to milk out some colostrum and the babies have all eaten. It wasent till the second day when she REALLY started milking that she got allclogged up. The thing is tho the day before she said that her milk was sweet smelling and looked totally normal. SO why would the next day her udder be completly clogged??

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

sounds like she has a congested udder. Is it hot? like warmer then the rest of her, or feverish feeling?
    Heat packs and massaging will help her let her milk down. Are the kids getting anything out when they nurse? Does she act like it hurts her. Is she herself running a fever?
    beth

6. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    Her udder may have gotten over full. I have a ewe we have to milk half way out first couple of days or she gets over full and clogged up. It does sound like mastitis starting. I would do the messaging and heat packs like sparks suggested and keep milking to get the congestion moving out. Along with a round of pen. Shelly

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I had a doe that got mastitis shortly after she freshened, her udder was hard but all I could milk out of it was cheese strings. After I got all of the cheesy stuff milked out she was fine. I had to milk hard though.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup had this happen before to. Had to botted feed the kids.

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

How is this doe doing? I would get her on some pen just like sarah said. Can you get any milk out of her at all? or is it pus like stringy stuff?
    You can also give LA 200 for mastitis, but it stings a lot and i wouln't let the kids have any milk if you decide to do this.
    beth