Nubian Goat ?'s

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by CarolinaGirlzminigoats, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Hi,
    I am bottle feeding twin does. I have owned mini goats and I dont know much about Nubian Goats.

So if any of you have any information that you could share with me that would be GREAT.

I have been looking on the net but I havent found much good information and I would rather get it from someone on here that that owns and breeds them...

Thank You,

Darlene

2. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    How old are the kids???

3. Two days old. The mother rejected them so the owner felt it was best to pull them right away. This is her second birth and she rejected the last set of twins as well. He left them with her but after two days they both died. The owner is a elderly man and he had a heart attack and is ill so he cant care for the kids. His daughter knew I have goats and that I bottled raised five of my minis so she called me and I picked them up. One was very weak and I was very worried about her but after I gave her nutri drench and bounce back she is doing 100% better and they both took to the bottle VERY well.

I know I will be too attached to give them back so I will need to learn about their breed and what they need. I own little minis so I dont know what the standard goats need and what I need to know about Nubians.. I am hoping someone on here can fill in the blanks..

Thank You

4. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Okay...I know a few people that raise Nubians. What are your questions about them? Are needing to know how much to feed them?

5. I need to know alot... LOL...

How much to feed and how often?

There temperment?

How large do they get (does) ?

and anything that a owner/breeder thinks a new owner needs to know and any advice they have to offer...

6. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Okay.

http://www.nazworthyacres.com/

This breeder is a good friend of mine. She is a Nubian Goat breeder and has been for years. I am not sure if bottle feeds her kids but check that out.I can give you her email address so you can talk to her. I will pm that to you if you want. Or we can just see how many Nubian goat breeders are on here.

7. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
  8. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I have two Nubian doelings, one was bottle raised and one was raised by a boer goat (semi wild) and both have the BEST personalities! I love them to death! I didn't bottle raise the one but she is such a nice girl and the other one I tamed down in no time! That's how easy to handle my two are. I'm sorry I can't really answer your other questions, because I've just really started on them myself, but I can say that their temperament is wonderful! Very sweet, and loving. :D

9. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    For the first week for sure I feed my Nubian kids 4-5 times a day. Probably somewhere around 6-10 oz. or so per feeding. Nubians are a large dairy breed, I would say they probably average around 150 pounds or so full grown. They have wonderful temperaments.

10. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    How are your babies doing? I'm sorry I haven't been on sooner but I was at the Michigan Farm Bureau Annual Meeting in Grand Rapids for the past three days. :)

I have bottle fed some of my baby Nubians over the years when their mom's rejected them. I have found that it is always best to feed them little bits of milk at a time, several times a day so they don't start scouring. For the first few days I do two ounces of milk at a time per goat every couple of hours through the day. If they don't act hungry (they'll yell at you when they have empty tummies) then you can go a little longer between feedings. They'll sleep a lot for the first week, and usually when they wake up they want to eat, poop and pee, then go back to sleep. If you snuggle with them while they are awake they will become so people friendly and imprint on you that you will be "mom" to them no matter how old they get. Look out, though, cuz they'll still want to be "lap goats" when they are full grown and weigh 120 lbs.

As time goes by you'll be able to increase their bottles to 4 oz. at a time and space them about 4 hours apart.

I feed throughout the day, but don't worry about getting up in the night to feed them. If they've eaten well during the day they will survive your sleeping through the night. Just expect that they will be VERY hungry for that first bottle in the morning. I usually time my feedings to give their last bottle at 11 p.m. and then feed them first thing in the a.m at 7.

Are you feeding them mom's milk or something else? If you can get goat's milk to feed them that is best.

Good luck with your girls, and thanks for opening your home and heart to them.

11. Thanks Pam for all the information...

My babies are doing GREAT... We did have a little bit of scouring but it seems to be clearing up. They are so sweet and so cute (ALL Legs). I am feeding them small amounts about every two hours or when they scream and let me know they are hungry.

12. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    you have been given some good advice so i have nothing to add. i don't get up at night to feed them either. they will make it thru.

13. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    I'm glad to hear all is well. You'll be surprised at how quickly this time goes and how fast they grow! Take pictures of them every few days against something that will give you an idea of how much they have grown and you'll be amazed at how those little bundles of legs grow into sturdy blocks of energy in a matter of days.