The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

My 3 month old nubian doe kid got dark green scours a week ago. She got it around the same day I drenched her. She is happy - running around like a crazy thing and eating fill stop but the scours won't stop. I gave her a top up drench today. She also has a bit of weepy eyes...

She is a big goat for her age and has always done well growth wise. I gave her a bit of baking soda but then was away for a few days so will try some more tomorrow. Any ideas? She did have some grain and I was thinking it may have been that BUT there are four other kids and none have scours???

She is meant to be in the show in three days! Not looking likely at this stage!:blue:

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
I had a wether I didn't think had cocci, because he was so chipper and acting completely normal. Lo and behold, sent the fecal out and it was cocci. I was able to treat him herbally, but if it persisted I would have used Baycox or DiMetox.

If it is cocci, I wouldn't bring her to the show. The stress of moving will make it worse, and it may spread to other kids there. :( So sorry!

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
Stop feed until she berries up, hay only....do a fecal...Green poop is normaly dietary but with kids stress opens the door to cocci and other worms so checking for cocci is important. I would give pepto to sooth tummy and dry her bum and CD antitoxin to protect from toxins building ...I agree not to take her to shows while she is not 100%..the stress will only make things worse..its great she is still active...: ) Keep her hydtrated : )

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
Out of three cocci cases, two were the usual dark ones, one was green (the one I verified by fecal).

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all :)

So the scours stopped! She got a second in the show in her age class. I think I might get a fecal count done though...Yes, I was thinking if it was cocci it would be darker....I did catch her eating a tree on fence line - none of the others were - and wondered if it might be the dodgy tree that has sprung up so will get rid of it...

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
good news..glad she cleared up....yes a fecal wouldnt hurt...:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts