The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10,755 Posts
Here's the answer. You get one Nub, one Boer & a Boer/Nub cross wether.:love:
Except here is how is really happens, You get the boer wether and the Nubian wether because they each need a buddy. You get home have them a while and then think I want babies, so you get a boer doe. Then you think I want milk so you get a Nubian doe. Then you think I need a buck so you get a buck, then you think well two does for one buck isn't enough so you get a couple more does. Then you think well I have a buck of one breed and does of two breeds so you get another buck. Then you think well 4 does isn't enough for two bucks so you get some more does. Then you think the bucks don't get along with each other and you don't want to split up your wethers so you get some more wethers to be buddies for each buck.... and it goes on and on until you are overcome with goats.... :laugh:

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
That will be us. I think we've decided to go the mini Nubian route, since they would be easier for my kids to handle. Our full size nubian is a bit too strong for them. With some autistic anxiety going on, I want a little smaller. Well, we have three Nubian does/doelings. So now we will be in the market for a quality ND buck (psst, anybody with registered sire quality ND bucks out there that you want to sell in a reasonable distance of Cheyenne, WY, we're in the market). Which means keeping company for the boy, and then you need genetic diversity.....

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
28,461 Posts
Except here is how is really happens, You get the boer wether and the Nubian wether because they each need a buddy. You get home have them a while and then think I want babies, so you get a boer doe. Then you think I want milk so you get a Nubian doe. Then you think I need a buck so you get a buck, then you think well two does for one buck isn't enough so you get a couple more does. Then you think well I have a buck of one breed and does of two breeds so you get another buck. Then you think well 4 does isn't enough for two bucks so you get some more does. Then you think the bucks don't get along with each other and you don't want to split up your wethers so you get some more wethers to be buddies for each buck.... and it goes on and on until you are overcome with goats.... :laugh:
Haha!! :ROFL:

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Haha!!! LOL!! Some might laugh but um, it's the truth... I started out with 2 ober wethers for pets about a year and a half ago, and well now 9 goats, and 3 are expecting so you see it's kind of an addiction....:)

·
Registered
130 Posts
I read that a Nubian buck can get up to 175 lbs., and a Boer can get up to 380 lbs.! Just in case that may influence your decision.
Supposedly Nubians are talkative....
Boers are sweet....
I met a Nubian/Boer mix right before July 4th this year. He silently convinced me to bring him home. All I could think of was all the BBQ's for the Holiday (not mine)....and he was (still is) a very sweet boy.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Lol I love this!

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I read that a Nubian buck can get up to 175 lbs., and a Boer can get up to 380 lbs.! Just in case that may influence your decision.
Supposedly Nubians are talkative....
Boers are sweet....
I met a Nubian/Boer mix right before July 4th this year. He silently convinced me to bring him home. All I could think of was all the BBQ's for the Holiday (not mine)....and he was (still is) a very sweet boy.
I do agree it can become addicting. I have one Purebred Nubian buck that is over 200lbs (he is a big guy) but all of my Nubians are sweethearts and easy to handle. Yes they do get loud but they just tell you when they want something. I would have to agree that if this is your first and only goat then get both (one of each) because they do need another goat friend. I have one boer in my herd and she is a sweetheart (but I also spoiled her). The boer is built like a tank, short and strong, and my Nubians are tall and big (some lean some others old traditional bigger body type). My boer is actually louder then the Nubians but she was raised with them and a bottle baby so she is very demanding about attention! Then again she thinks she is a dairy goat so maybe she is not the best example of a boer goat! yup she is trained to the stand (she did it herself too) better then some of my Nubian does.

As the old saying goes. . . "Goats are like potato chips. . . you can't have just one!"

·
Registered
959 Posts
YEp...we had 2 does to start with and we have them in our yard so there would be absolutely NO keepign kids, whatsoever. Then, we decided to get a registered doeling the same year we had 3 bucks for kids. 2 bucks sold as pet wethers. The does hated the doeling but the other boy liked her...so he stayed as a wether to solve our herd "integration issue"...but we would sell him in the spring. By then daughter loved the wether more than her doe, so he got trained as a packgoat. Doeling wouldn't concieve at 12 or 18 mos so we got impatient and picked up another registered goat. Next day, my mostfavorite goat in the world, a small PB nubian doe went up for sale. Someone wanted her if we didn't...so I said yes. Meanwhile...stud service for 4-5 does is a lot and when a buck I like went up for sale, onboard he came. Bam...2 to 7 goats in under 2 years. That's how it's done....oh, and we've only ever had buck kids...so I'm pretty sure this year they will all be does, then...we will just have to move!

·
Look for me in the barn...
1,054 Posts
If You Give A (Mouse) Human A (Muffin) Goat... ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts