Nubian vs saanen udders

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by keren, Oct 17, 2010.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I am such a nubian convert now. I am in love with The thinner, softer teats, large orifices and good flow. They are just so wonderful to milk!

2. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    It really depends on the lines as I have milked (not my goats) some Nubians that had the smallest orfice size I have ever seen and I thought I was never going to get done milking them! But you got to love a nice teat size, orfice size and nice soft teats no matter what the breed!

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I agree. It's not really the breed as much as the blood lines. Both a well bred nubian and sanaan milking doe should be about equal.

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I've never milked either breed, but my alpine- OMG it's so nice. big milk flow!!

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I am glad you are enjoying your goaties. :)

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    should probably clarify - it's an australian thing, and ours are ANGLO nubians, as opposed to nubians. The udder traits are distinctly different, and its one reason we struggle for udder quality particularly in our nubies. But, we are getting there, slowly but surely :)

7. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    I :love: nubians. Those ears are SO CUTE!!! And I have seen nubians with HUGE teats! They look really easy to milk too. I would love to get a nubian kid in the spring. But who knows what will happen. Maybe I should just stick to my Oberhaslis. Its SO hard when you love them all!

8. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    I love the Nubians too. I may get nubians too, someday. But my friend has the nicest Oberhasli buck. He is sooooo beautiful and gentle. She is breeding all her girls to him this year. Should prove to be some nice kids around there in the spring. I hope my Sabrina is bred to him, too.