Nubian wether with cough and eye discharge

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by artistruth, Dec 20, 2010.

1. artistruth

artistruth New Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Hi All,
    I'm a pretty new goat owner, so any help is appreciated. I have a nubian wether about 1 yr old. Just wormed him about a month ago & he seemed very healthy til yesterday. He is coughing occasionally, listless and has yellow discharge from one eye. I gave him 5cc of LA200 today, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do for the poor guy. He's not eating very well... kind of just stands around looking puny. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK

3. artistruth

artistruth New Member

Dec 20, 2010
    I will try... do you use a regular thermometer?

4. artistruth

artistruth New Member

Dec 20, 2010
    His temp is 103 with a rectal thermometer

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Have you seen him pee?

Is he bloaty?

6. artistruth

artistruth New Member

Dec 20, 2010
    I haven't seen him pee, & he doesn't look/feel bloaty.

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    How is your weather? Normal goat temp is from 101 to 103.5*F, If it is very cold where you are I'd say his temp is high, starting him on the LA200 was a good call, now he'll need to have the entire course of treatment for it to be effective. Also, you can entice him to drink with a bit of molasses in warm water, the smell alone should do the trick. Picking at his food isn't good, as he does need to eat , try some cooked oatmeal with a touch of molasses as well as getting some NutriDrench into him, it has the good stuff he needs to help sustain him. Probiotics would be good too...yogurt with live active cultures will work if you don't have the probiotic paste or powder.

8. artistruth

artistruth New Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Thanks Liz for all the ideas. I will try the water w/molasses, cooked oatmeal etc. It's only about 46 degrees here for a high, so I think he's a bit warm myself. I have some probiotics & will give that a try as well.
    Ruth

9. artistruth

artistruth New Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Thanks for asking :) He seems better this a.m. He ate ok last night and seemed perkier today. I think he'll probably be all right as long as I keep him on the LA200 for a few days. His eye still looks punky/gunky though. Is a full course of LA200 5 days or 3?

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    1cc per 25# every other day for a max of 3 doses. Some will give it daily at a higher dose for 3 days.
    Glad he's doing better, I hope he continues to improve.