Nubian wether won't eat oats, is bird seed ok?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Saddlebum, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Saddlebum

Saddlebum New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Michigan
    He's a very fat wether and since his bout with goat polio recently, he's refusing to eat even one little oat. I've been feeding him oats only, just a 1/2 cup once a day when I grain my horse to keep him from pushing my 17hh horse out of his grain bucket. So, I used some bird seed and he loves it. It's the mixed kind. Is this good enough for him? Thank You.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I wouldnt think so -- I know the Black Oil Sunflower Seeds are good for them but in small quantities. But making it his full diet is not a good idea

3. Yea, that would be far too fatty of a diet. In moderation it would be ok but as a whole you need to find something better. One thing you can do is get a high protein sweet feed and mix in the BOSS. I mixed Sweet feed, Creep, and BOSS for a long time by hand before I had a mix made. The the sweetness will help them eat the oats etc.

4. Saddlebum

Saddlebum New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Michigan
    So, I will quit the bird seed and maybe what I should do is mix some molasses in with the oats to get him back on just oats. Thanks!!!!!

5. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    He's got some kind of hay, right?

Jan

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    you know a wether really doesnt need grain he'd be safer without it and hay will do him just fine.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the others ..I wouldn't feed him bird seed... it could be very bad for him...