Nubians FF Udder 5 weeks fresh, please critique?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by GoldenSeal, Sep 19, 2010.

1. GoldenSeal

GoldenSeal New Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I think her escutcheon is to low for my liking. She is 5 weeks fresh here and this was taken this morning with 12hrs of milk. Don't mind the shingles and etc in the background, lol. I have my milk stanchion in my garage because I can milk in a warm garage when it gets in the minuses. I also think that her medial suspension is a little to high. Anyways, I would love it if anyone else would like to critique her. Oh and the picture is terrible because it's only a cell phone camera. Sorry about that..

[​IMG]

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    lateral attachements look good, teat placement from the back looks good but a side view will determine that for sure. Could use a higher rear udder -- though the rear attachment is there the udder isnt filling high up so she doesnt look full to capacity. If you do show her fill her more then 12 hours so that she gets a complete fill for the show ring.

I have seen does with that high of a medial division do well in the ring. I dont know a ton about nubian udders though but I like the look of it, just needs more milk to be at full capacity. She is a FF so that should come with repeat freshening :)

3. GoldenSeal

GoldenSeal New Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    She was bred out of season, hence the 5 weeks fresh. I do like her teat placement it makes for easy milking and her orifices are nice and wide so it makes for a fast milk-out as well. She is a 3 year old FF (No buck until late last year). I'm not showing her this year but next year so I'm hoping next year she will look much better and fill out better. I'm excited for next year to be here already as I'm showing a lot of my herd and getting them evaluated for classification (like your linear tests in the US, just called something different) to get a handle from a professional what my herd is lacking, what I need to improve, and for a learning experience as well.
    Thank you for your opinion, I appreciate it. :)

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I like her teat placement/size as well as her medial...I agree though that she could benefit from a higher rear with a wider attachment. Being a FF though she may end up having more capacity with future freshenings...also, I think average "peak" production with most does is around 7-8 weeks fresh, you could try monitering her output then and see if a 12 hour fill at that time makes a difference with "how high" her rear udder fills.

5. GoldenSeal

GoldenSeal New Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, I'll watch her over the next few weeks to see if her escutcheon improves. I am waiting to see what 2nd freshening brings me. I'm really *hoping* for a higher udder.
    Thank you for your input and opinions :)

6. GoldenSeal

GoldenSeal New Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    With this doe in particular I need to get her scurs removed. I wonder what is the best way to go about that...her horns are about 3 inches. I'm thinking banding.

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Banding would likely be the best option, less traumatic for her as well. Though do watch as they will sometimes bleed when they do come off.

8. GoldenSeal

GoldenSeal New Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Are you supposed to burn after the horn falls off?

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Only if you need to cauterize any bleeding. Not sure if there will be growth after the horn comes of.

10. GoldenSeal

GoldenSeal New Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I am not looking forward to this...she is my herd queen.

11. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Yep, I agree. She has a nice medial and her teat placement is right on. She could use more width and height into the escutcheon, though.

If she was fuller it would make her rear udder fill out and appear wider, but it will not be higher. Where her attachment ends is where it ends, no matter how full she is.