The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is our first year breeding. We have two does that we are breeding this year and they will be first fresheners. We got them last November and we believe that even without a buck or buck rag we saw at least one heat last year. We got a buck rag from the farm where they will be breed 3.5 weeks ago. The first day we exposed them to it it seemed like they were in heat. They both peed, there was tail wagging, and one was pacing the fence yelling once I took the rag away. We took them to the farm that night to see and they were not in heat. The next day they had very little reaction to the rag. We have exposed them to the rag twice a day since and haven't seen anything that would be heat.. minimal to no interest, limited tail wagging, no discharge. I am concerned that we haven't seen anything yet. Our girls came from a kidding of 6 kids and I have always worried a little that they would have some sort of issue because there was just so many of them! We own a goat milk soap company and have been using milk that is given to us from a breeder (she refuses to charge us and I would hate to expect this from her again next year). In order to continue and grow our business we have to have these girls breed and it is really adding stress on me.

·
Super Moderator
58,860 Posts
It is harder when you don't have a buck around. The buck rag doesn't always work. I either have the buck stay at my house or I take my girls there.

Your other option is to use a CIDR or give them a shot of Lute.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
This makes me wonder if I should get a rag and start trying to jump start Dru, I was really wanting to wait til nov to breed her for an april kidding, since our Marches can be so cold sometimes, but if it is hard to get one to come in without the buck around maybe I should be trying to get her going now. She however, is very peey. Everytime I let her out in the yard to play she has to pee and flags her tail and tries to love on Daffodil. It makes me think she is sort of in heat already but just needs the buck around to tease her into full blown heat.

·
Super Moderator
58,860 Posts
I would try the buck rag now. Wouldn't be a bad thing to have her go through a cycle or two before breeding.

I have my Nigerian at another farm for breeding. She never showed any signs of heat and previous years when I had bucks she did. She is 9 years old too so she has been around the block a time or two.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Did the bucks show any interest in her, and she was not showing it back? My doe did this nearly two weeks ago, and she went into a five day heat last week, complete with standing heat. No standing heat the first time. It was definitely different. I wonder if yours will cycle again in a few days. Keep your eye out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts