Number 7

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Perfect7, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    I feel like I have a goat collecting addiction, and may need to get help if it doesn't stop soon. A friend of mine who is a boer goat breeder called last night and asked if I wanted to buy a 4 yr old fullblood boer doe for $100. I asked what was wrong with her. She has freshened three times now with big single bucks (last time a solid black) but she's big and healthy. Was nice to bring home a healthy, well fed boer with blood red eyelids, some nice muscle. I think she has bones in there somewhere.
    Would have loved to have gotten my whole starter herd from him but he only sells show whethers and the occasional buckling. Most doelings are retained. He knows my luck lately, so I guess he felt a little sorry for me and has all the bucklings he needs. :p Seven does is a good place to stop.
    My prego had to make sure she was still the queen and was acting like I've only read a buck will act, making some strange grunting noise, sniffing the does' backside, and sticking her tongue out while rearing up. Not sure how she got her prego body up so high, but she managed. Looked like a tsunami. :laugh:
    While the other doe is taller and thicker, she butted heads a couple times and then walked off. Not much to it. Normally I would segregate the newbie, but this girl came from a friend and has a clean bill of health. Welcome home TaTonka! Guess we'll look forward to a big buck next spring. :applaud:

2. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    CONGRATS! I love bringing home new goats :)

btw, you may THINK you'll stop at 7... :ROFL: yeah right! that's what I promised DH... 5 goats ago... I also told him I'd only be retaining 1 kid this year... er, make that 3...

Love the name TaTonka! Pics please!

3. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Congrats!!! I am so happy for you! And she sounds great! How wonderful you were able to get her from someone you can trust after the last breeder. Sounds like you have a nice herd now! And it's so exciting getting a new goat! We decided 5 does and a buck. But I have to admit I do keep an eye on the craigslist postings LOL We were fortunate to find some honest breeders with nice goats on there, thank goodness!
    If our girls end up having any does, I want to keep them, so I'm trying to remind myself we have to save room for them just in case!

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :laugh:

Congrats... on the new addition...Boers are a neat breed and I am glad... she is healthy.. :thumbup: ... love to see a pic... if you are able to do so..... :wink: :thumb:

5. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    I will get pictures of her after dinner. She is not used to being handled and keeps her distance, but I can sneak up on her. :wink: She'll come around with my midnight snacks.
    I have to correct myself. I don't want to stop at 7 does, just don't want to ever buy more than these 7 and let the rest be homegrown. :p
    And Pam, I love your new avatar boer! :love:

6. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Okay, here are pictures of our new girl! She's much more people social at dinner time. Imagine that! :wink: