NUmber of Teats

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Lexibot, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Does it matter how many teats your doe has? I have 2 does with 4 teats, the rest of 2.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    with the boers....it is good to have 2x2 clean ...as they sometimes.. have more than 2 kids .....
    ABGA now recognizes them and they are allowed in the show ring...they must be 2x2 clean though....

In dairy goats(milkers) .... it.. is not a good thing... as the teats tend to make milking a little more difficult..... depending upon... how close they are together..... :wink: Hope this helps... :thumb:

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am not sure if it matters so much in the myotonic breed either - but I prefer to see only 2 :)

4. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    OKay, thanks for the info :) One of my dairy babies has 4, and my bigger doe boer has 4 :)

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome... :thumb:

With the dairy Doe ...are the teats spaced enough apart.. to where it doesn't interfere with milking?

Your boer sounds normally fine having 2x2 clean... :wink: :greengrin:

6. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    DEFINITELY matters in the myotonics.... udder is 15 points in the show ring and 2 teated is best.... bucks that are not 2 teated can not be registered as a buck (though they can be as a wether) 3 and 4 teated does can be registered.... but it is not looked upon highly especially in the show ring. :)

7. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    I really don't know, they were fidgeting when I was trying to look, lol. It's pretty hot out right now, On the baby, it's so little to tell (she's not even 3 months yet).

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Thank you Jess - I knew that someone would come to my rescue, cause I had NO CLUE!

9. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    LOL No problem! :) I'm still learning too.

10. carmen escamilla

carmen escamilla New Member

Jul 23, 2010
    texas
    WOW IS IT NORMAL TO HAVE 4 I NEVER HEARD OF THAT IS THIS A BIRT DIF OF IS IT A NORMAL THING,,AND DO ALL 4 GIVE MILK IM GLAD I LEARD SOMETHING ON HERE AGAIN I PROBLEY FREK OUT IF I SAW THIS ON ONE OF MY GIRLS..WHY DO U THINK THIS HAPPENS DOES IT HAPPEN TO ALL KIND OF DOES OR JUST BOARS ...CERY INTERSTIE TO KNOW,,

11. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    I would say it's normal, but uncommon. I wont get to see how well it milks until my baby is old enough to have kids, but being how she's from a litter of 3, perhaps the 4 teats will do better for her, as maybe it's a sign multiples will be passed down, I don't know...These are only guesses though. Assumptions I have discussed with Dad and he came up with the theory being how she comes from a triple, maybe her genetics believe she needs extra teats.

I have small hands, I MIGHT be able to milk her who has 4 teats.

I think all breeds have a chance of getting 4 teats.

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    4 teets are a DQ in the show ring for dairy goats

well anything more then 2 is a DQ

having triplets has nothing to do with the number of teats to the udder

13. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Well I aint raising my goats for show or selling them off for show, so I aint too worried. Just for normal milking and eating :)

I really only care about the health of my goats, and whether they produce us nice herds. As it should go, we'll be taking any "better" off springs and getting rid of their parents if needed. We want good quality.

If Grace has a better baby than herself, and she doesn't improve, we'll keep the baby and sell her, if necessary to get what we need. Grace is a good goat, but she could do better at milk producing, but it's only her first year, so we can't judge her just yet. I really like her, good behavior on the milk stand.

Mind you Grace has supposedly been bred from a male that's not in my herd, so we may keep any does she has this time anyway :p

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It all depends upon... what you are going to do with the goat.... so... if you don't want to show your dairy goat and she milks easy for you....hey...nothing wrong with that .... :thumb: ....... with your boer.... it is a OK thing to find them with 2x2 clean...and are OK to show as well...also... if the boers teats.... are spaced right...you can easily milk them as well...my boers produce alot of milk and feed trips with no problems ...I never have to supplement feed them....... Not all goats are perfectly teated....but someone has to love them and put up with what was dealt to them.... :wink: Boers have always been known to throw more than 2 teats.... it is just the way they are...... other breeds do get them..... anything over 1x1 clean...are usually culled out... in other breeds... but the boer is now recognized and honored to have 2x2 clean..... :thumb:

15. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    That's good, I have a good boer :) She's my bigger one. I hope both of them put on more muscle though I am doing all I can up to this point.

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California