Nursing/Bottles...which do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by pennylullabelle, Nov 22, 2009.

1. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

Do you bottle feed (mothers milk fresh, pasteurized, cows milk or milk supplement) or allow does to nurse? What made you choose to do it the way you do?

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I would much rather dam raise, but if I really needed to bottle feed, If availiable goat's milk is the best, then I would use a milk replacer made for livestock. For all baby animals here who need bottles, I use a pritchard teat screwed on the end of any plastic soda or beer bottle that we may have at the time.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    why dont you do a search - this question was asked and there was a great discussion.

Everyone has their likes and dislikes and what works for one farm may nto work for another.

4. Haviris

Haviris Member

Oct 7, 2007
    I do a combo of both, I get all the benefits of both w/ none of the drawbacks. I feed goat milk, w/ store bought cows milk as my second choice.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I prefer the nursing kids...it makes it easier. :wink: ..I only bottle feed... if a kid isn't getting enough... from it's momma.... due to first freshener ...that doesn't have enough milk and to give her the time... to drop her milk....I still let the baby suckle from momma ...as it helps stimulate mom... to drop her milk...and I don't have a "Pure bottle baby"... and the momma is still bonded with her/him .... :wink: