Nursing doe loosing weight

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Frozenloc2, May 2, 2008.

1. Frozenloc2

Frozenloc2 New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Northern Maryland
    My three kids will be 6 weeks old next week. I have a buck and two does. They are just sucking the weight off of momma. She's on all the hay she can eat and 3 cups of grain twice a day. All the kids are eating grain now. The soon to be wether and one of teh does is going to the same home. The other doeling, I'm keeping. Would you send the kids to their new home at 7 weeks old instead of 8 weeks or is that pushing it. She's always managed her weight well but she's also never nursed 3 before. What would you do here?

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    They should be fine to leave at 7 weeks as long as they are eating grain and hay and drinking water good. I separated my buckling from his mom at 7 weeks since he was so bucky. :GAAH:

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have had kids leave at 7 weeks also, if you are not sure wether they are drinking from a bucket adequatly, separate them from mom at night and milk her in the morning....let the kids drink the milk from the bucket if they want it, if they can suck up the milk they will suck up water. :)

4. Frozenloc2

Frozenloc2 New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Northern Maryland
    I've seen them drinking water

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Then the 2 of them leaving mom would be fine and she will get her condition back...my mini girls start to look like bony milk cows when their kids are 6-7 weeks old. After they are weaned and I start milking 2x a day, they get their pre-baby weight back. Also, if you haven't wormed her since she kidded, I would do it now and the kids would get the benefit to with nursing.

6. Frozenloc2

Frozenloc2 New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Northern Maryland
    I guess thats the plan then. I wormed her after she kidded also.