Nursing Doe?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by RowdyKidz, May 22, 2010.

1. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I raise pygmies. One of my doe's currently has two 7 week old kids on her. She has a decent weigt on her, but when I put my hands on her, I can feel her bones. I can't see them at all and like I said, she's at a really good weight (even overweight). She jst needs some conditioning. I've never had this problem before so I am at a loss as to what to do to help get her back into condition. :? She is getting around 16 ounces of grain and grass hay. Her kids will be weaned on Tuesday.

Help???

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    babies ...take alot out of their moms... body condition wise///some become very thin despite ...how they are fed....the more the babies the more it drains mom........ weaning the kids... will help alot.... I would feed Alfalfa....or something better than grass hay.... but do it gradually ....I can't tell you.... if 16 ounces is enough for her or not ......as I have the big boers and don't want to tell you wrong.... :wink:

How long ago was she wormed?

How is her stool?

3. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Her stool is fine, and I just wormed her last week. :)

:?

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Have a fecal done for cocci...adults can get cocci and not have any scouring at all ...but lose alot of weight....despite... how you feed.....have her also tested for worms just in case.... Especially If... you feel ...she is very thin..... Also weaning the kids ...will help her..to get condition back... :wink:

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Tara, you can also try adding some Alfalfa pellets to her grain ration...once you are sure she is parasite free, you may be able to correct the thiness with a higher amount of feed.
    Also, if this is her FF, she may be the type of mommy that puts everything she eats into her milk production and "forgets" to keep some for herself and future freshenings she may need a higher amount of carbs and fat to help keep her condition.