The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 24hour babies are nursing on mama, but when I see them they suck a few seconds and stop or go to the other teat and suck a few seconds. Is this normal? My daughter can get milk when she squeezes her but I can't get anything. What are signs they aren't getting enough milk?

Also I've read about giving them nutradrench and bar gaurd 99. This is new to me, what are they and is it necessary and when?

None of my goats have had a CDT shot. When would it be safe to give it to them?

·
14,615 Posts
Totally normal.;) They nurse frequently in short time spans. Leave that colostrum in there for the kids.:coffee2:
Nobody needs Nutria Drench unless they are weak.
As for CDT they (not the newborns) can have that. I do the first round a few weeks before weaning.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. They are active but guess I expected them to latch on and hang on for awhile, kind of like puppies do.

·
14,615 Posts
You are welcome!
One year I had a set of dorkmeyer trips with ADD. The first few days they would literally suck 2 or 3 times, wander off, come back & take a few more slugs.
Oh! And where are the pics of your new darlings??

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put the pictures on the announcements forum under "Sassy had twins". This little girl definitely has ADD. She takes two or three sips and off again. Her brother will stop long enough to take several swallows. I'm noticing he is gaining weight already. Little girl is also slipping in to the other goats side to sleep. She seems to like it better for some reason.

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Yes, sounds very normal. You should notice active, alert kids, with round bellies. If they look sunken in, tails down, head down, droopy, slow, etc. then that would tell me they aren't getting enough to eat. But the nursing you describe sounds totally normal for newborns. :thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts