Nutrition for pregnant doeling

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Michaela Van Mecl, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    You guys have likely seen my thread of the doeling who had a premature date with my buckling ; She got pregnant at around 5 months, we luted her 20 days post breeding, and a blood test last week confirmed she is still pregnant.

She's due March 25th, she will be 10 months old at that point. She really is a decent sided young lady so I'm not too concerned; We weren't comfortable aborting again 2 months in so we have decided to take our chances.

My question.... what do you think I should be doing nutrition wise for this young lady? My vet said don't increase any protein on her before kidding to limit the size of the babies. Honestly - her body condition is pretty plush as it is, even before she was pregnant she's a really stout young lady for a dairy goat (nubian lamancha mix)... because of this, she is only getting free choice high quality hay with the occasional grain and seems to be perfect. But... I don't want to encounter any pregnancy issues like toxemia.

Some pics of her attached. She's the black and white one. The one of her in the barn isnt' a great shot, but it's next to her 2yo mom for size comparison which I thought may be helpful. Thanks guys!

Attached Files:

MadHouse likes this.
  2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I would offer some alfalfa pellets for her if the hay is grass hay. No grain. Exercise is good. Electrolytes with dextrose in the offered in the last month in her water.

MadHouse and Michaela Van Mecl like this.

3. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Sounds good! Do you think you would start the alfalfa now? And... about how much? She's probably about 90-100 lbs. I can do up to twice a day - although I prefer once a day for her.

MadHouse likes this.
  4. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Start small and build up to a cup or two.

MadHouse and Michaela Van Mecl like this.
  5. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    MadHouse likes this.
  6. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    MINERAL! I would supplement with replamin gel plus every week. Kidding requirements can really suck the minerals out of a young doe - lots of calcium, and last month an ADE injection

GoofyGoat likes this.
  7. Adam Spires

Adam Spires Active Member

Oct 26, 2020
    Ohio
    image.jpg I just had a doeling kid triplets and she’s the same size as yours:) Do you know how many babies she is going to have? What I did for this doeling was give her 1 cup of grain along with her daily hay she always gets. I personally think your doeling is going to be just fine, even if the kids are a little big:) Also, EXCERCISE

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  9. GodsGarden

GodsGarden Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Colorado
    Very pretty doe. I would give her some alfalfa too. Has lots of minerals and good stuff in it. I had a doeling get pregnant same time as yours, was skinnier though. She got grass, alfalfa, some grain but I can't remember how much, and minerals/kelp. She did really good. Good advice on the exercise. It looks like she has a nice good yard to get her walks in. Again, super cute doe and I hope it all goes well for her.

toth boer goats and GoofyGoat like this.
  10. Ashlynn

Ashlynn Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    We had a Nigerian doe kid to accidental Nubian kids (there’s a reason we don’t lease to kids keeping goats at the school anymore). Everyone was worried. She was at a show and the whole tent was coming up to us trying to offer advice and delivery help if she had them soon. We made sure to only feed her as much as she needed but still high quality like you would any pregnant doe. She ended up having them at 3am by herself. She’s a good size I agree that she’ll do just fine!

toth boer goats likes this.