The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With this thread about May's precocious udder I'm wondering about the nutritional value of that milk vs regular milk made for kids.

Anyone know?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
All milk is milk made for babies. Although I don't "know" as in studies, etc., I can't imagine it is vastly different from milk from a doe who has kidded. It's the same process of production, initiated by the same hormones, and made by the same ingredients supplied by the moms' bodies.
I'd drink it.

Reactions: Sfgwife

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Yeah, whenever we milk May I feel kinda bad thinking about how there is probably a baby goat (er, kid) who would love this milk..

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All milk is milk made for babies. Although I don't "know" as in studies, etc., I can't imagine it is vastly different from milk from a doe who has kidded. It's the same process of production, initiated by the same hormones, and made by the same ingredients supplied by the moms' bodies.
I'd drink it.
See, I'm thinking that it likely IS vastly different than milk form a doe that's been pregnant and kidded specifically because of the hormones. Because this milk isn't made for a baby because there is no baby. I don't mean to say that I think milk from a prococious udder would have no value or be bad, just I'd bet that it is not as nutritionally or immunologically dense as milk from a doe that kidded.

At least in humans the specific nutritional makeup up breastmilk is individually tailored to the child it is feeding and changes daily based in terms of bacterias, vitamins and minerals in response to the infant's needs. When the babe sucks there is a backwash so-to-speak that gets into the mild duct that "tells" the breast what the infant needs. I was wondering if it would function the same.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
The hormones that say to the goat "let's make some milk" are the same.

The "backwash" isn't the kind of hormones that do that.

The goat's milk will change from day to day when it has kidded. But it is the same basic substance nutritionally. It's why we can raise kids successfully on whole cow's milk from the grocery store. That's the kind of same I thought we were speaking of.

If not, then no, it isn't the same. But as you pointed out, milk from a doe one day isn't the same as milk from a doe the very next day, so I don't really see the point?

Reactions: Iluvlilly!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The point? I guess if it’s something you want to nerd out on that would be the point and if it’s not something you’re interested in, well then you have your answer. Personally I think it would be fascinating to see the differences between the two.

I’ll have to Google and see if any studies have been done.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
No, by the point I meant yeah, it's different, the same kind of different that the milk from a doe who's kidded is from one day to the next. I'm not so nerdy that I'd want to determine all the differences from one day to the next to the next to the next for each and every doe in the entire world. It's all just milk.

Now colostrum, which is made during labor, that'd be different matter, because there'd be no labor hormones. But we aren't talking about colostrum, we're talking only the changes in milk from one doe to the next, from one day to the next.

Reactions: Iluvlilly!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
...I'd heard milk from a precocious udder was watery and undesireable. Not true??? I've never seen a precocious udder, so I have no clue.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I'll try and get a pic next time we milk May so you can see. It is white and looks like normal milk.
We have had clearish watery stuff from precocious udders before though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts