NW FORGOT to put the goat on the plane!

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by poppypatch, Jul 3, 2009.

1. poppypatch

poppypatch New Member

May 30, 2009
    Montesano WA
    NorthWest and Delta are combining and there are some bad communication issues. Never had a problem shipping goats in or out in the past but we had our first nightmare experience this week.
    Kid was there at NorthWest cargo in Portland OR two hours before the flight was to go out as needed. We did the all paperwork and left.
    Had two other kids we then dropped off there in OR for someone in OR then hung around for a couple more hours to pick up a kid we had coming in from Rosasharn the same day.
    The Rosasharn kid came in right on time at 12:30 on Continental and we went back home then. We are about a 2 1/2 hour drive from the airport so it takes awhile to get home.
    Well when we got home there were two messages on our answering machine from NW to say that someone there forgot to put the goat on the flight and it left without her! They didn't try to call our cell phone even though they had the number.
    They couldn't reach us so they went ahead and put her on another later flight that had a very short layover in Minneapolis so they were a bit concerned if she would make the plane switch there but it was the only flight they had. If she didn't make the switch she would be in Minneapolis overnight. Then I asked if the person receiving the kid was notified of the change. NO they didn't even call them when the number was right in front of them! When we called them they were already on their way to pick her up.
    We had to worry all night if she made it onto that other plane in Minneapolis. Thankfully she did and she was fine! She was supposed to get into Boston at 9:11 PM but didn't end up getting there until 2:30 AM the next morning.
    The worst part was the person shipping her payed extra for VIP shipping on this kid! We are trying now to get a refund for her on the VIP but it isn't easy. Have to file a claim which may take a month. Funny thing is when we called the NorthWest/Delta headquarters the next day they knew all about the goat incident without mentioning it was a goat!

Shannon
    Poppy Patch Farm

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    oh man that is aweful... I am so glad that the kid is ok

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is awful.....but....at least ...the kid is alright...... :hug:

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    wow that would be so scary. glad she made it okay!!

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    How worrisome for you! :hug: And it must have been very scary for that baby...how awful. I am glad she arrived where she was supposed to..even though it was much later, I hope she is no worse for wear.

6. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    IMO you should not only get the VIP $ refunded but the entire shipping. The airlines did not do their job and I cannot believe they didn't make calls. I would press for a full refund.
    I'm just glad she was ok.

7. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Yes you should make them refund the entire shipping. I just had that happen with a kid that was shipped to me, they left it behind, and it was Northwest as well. They only charged us 10.95 for the shipping because it was a guaranteed booking. Worth a try at least...that's a big mess up on their part.

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    First off....don't think i've said hi and welcome to TGS....I see you're somewhat new! :wave: You have some beautiful goats!!!

Oh gosh, that is terrible! Poor little one, but glad they made it to their new home eventually!

9. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Wow, that is very upsetting. I am glad to hear she did make it safely though. Poor baby! I agree that they should refund the entire shipping cost. Hopefully it works out that way.

10. poppypatch

poppypatch New Member

May 30, 2009
    Montesano WA
    Thanks! Wow sorry to hear this is not the first time this has happened!
    The girl at the cargo office says NorthWest and Delta are combining(they share an office) and they have a new system for picking up that is not working real well. They said this will not happen again.....at least not in Portland.
    This was the first time we have used NW. Have used Delta many times without a problem.
    Thankfully this kid was a 3-month-old so she could handle a longer shipping time. Was still a very long day for her. Hope they gave her water along the way. Left from our farm at 7:00 AM and arrived at their farm at 4:30 AM the next day.
    The kid we received without a problem that day was 1 month and still on a bottle so it is a good thing it didn't happen to him.
    We paid the shipping on our end because of the VIP service so we are working on trying to get them a refund. Hope they can get it because this was a huge inconvenience on their part and they have been so nice considering.

Shannon
    Poppy Patch Farm

11. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    That is awful! I am glad the kid is okay! It was good the new owners had a cell so you could call them - that is something that the airport did not call them or your cell!

Deidre

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH how scary. I am afraid I would of gone crazy. The thought of a baby being by himself for so long. :( .

Glad to hear the baby is ok. I would have them watch for shipping fever. That is a long time to be under stress.