The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

This is my first post, and I have a few questions I was hoping I could find some answers to!
We are planning on getting a few mini's after winter, so I was trying to get some planning out of the way. We have about 1 1/2 acres that the mini's will share with the chickens.
My first question is what does everyone suggest I use for fencing around the perimeter?
Second, we were thinking of starting with 2-3 mini's and eventually growing to 6-8. Is that too many for that small of a area?
Third question, and this might be a long shot, but does anyone now have their goats with their chickens? And if so, how do you keep the goats out of the chicken feed. I was going to have them share the same barn space, but don't want the goats eating all the chicken feed! Any ideas/comments?

Thanks in advance to everyone!

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
alclpost said:
Hey everyone!

This is my first post, and I have a few questions I was hoping I could find some answers to! Hi Welcome to the group!!!!
We are planning on getting a few mini's after winter, so I was trying to get some planning out of the way. We have about 1 1/2 acres that the mini's will share with the chickens.
My first question is what does everyone suggest I use for fencing around the perimeter? We use the 5ft no climb fencing made by Red Brand.. it works great but make sure your goats don't have horns or you will be replacing it every 2 years or so. :)
Second, we were thinking of starting with 2-3 mini's and eventually growing to 6-8. Is that too many for that small of a area? As long as you are supplementing feed that is pleanty of space for 6-8 goats.
Third question, and this might be a long shot, but does anyone now have their goats with their chickens? And if so, how do you keep the goats out of the chicken feed. I was going to have them share the same barn space, but don't want the goats eating all the chicken feed! Any ideas/comments? Yes, our chickens are free range and spend a lot of time with the goats. We don NOT feed the chickens regular chicken feed though as the goats would eat it and it can make the goats very sick. Instead the chickens eat all the bugs and grasses and then eat some of the goats grain and pellet mix with them. (We feed calf manna, sunflower seeds and purina noble goat with alfalfa pellets) We have also noticed the chickens spend a lot of time in the goats loose mineral tubs and our free range chicken eggs are just awesome... the yolk is a DARK orange and tastes delicious! LOL so though it costs more than chicken feed...the eggs taste so good it's worth it.

Thanks in advance to everyone!

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
Welcome!
We have our goats with our chickens. To keep the goats out of the chicken feed we only feed the chickens at night after we put them up in their own cage.
Our main problem is keeping the chickens out of the goats' water. They get it dirty and then the goats won't drink it.

·
Hopelessly Addicted
2,055 Posts
Hi!

We have 6 mini does on 1 and a half acres. It is more than enough room for them. We feed them grass hay and goat specific grain when they need it. We also have 3 bucks right now, who share a paddock that is probably the size of half a basketball court. As long as they have plenty of room to play and are not crowded, and you supplement their grazing with any additional feed necessary, then they will be fine.

We use powder coated, stiff cattle panels. I don't think they are of a specific brand, we just buy them from Big R. We get the ones that have much smaller holes at the bottom, that get larger as you go up. Keeps kids in. Hog panels are probably too short. We just use the ones designated for cattle. They can be pricey, but they are super easy to set up. Hard to transport unless you have a long flatbed truck or trailer, but you just drag them out in the field and lean them against the fence posts and secure them. No stretching. It is a little awkward, but I can put up panels myself, move them, etc. without help and I am an average height woman. And T-Posts work fine with them. We cap ours to make them look nicer and to keep our horses from gouging themselves on the top (share pasture with our goats.) And you can always string hotwire near the bottom on the front if you have trouble with them climbing them or something, although I doubt they can.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts