O.O Abcess!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by lesserweevil, May 7, 2008.

1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    well I got home last night and went straight out (almost) to visit the 3 goatlike creatures.

Much to my horror, Whisper and Harmony both had abcesses! Harmony's was only a very tiny one, but Whisper's was at least the size of a dime if not a bit bigger.

I had vaccinated them 2 weeks previously using a new sterile needle (something I rarely do!) and I spoke to the vet on the telephone and he thinks that this is where the abcesses came from.

Harmony's is pink and bare of hair with just a small gooey bit - I sprayed it with antibiotic spray and let it be.

Whissy's, on the other hand, was all gooey and with a big clump of hair and lump in the middle. At the vet's instructions I cleaned it out with salt water - and the whole lump came away like a plug. Underneath it was a hole with red and grey and white knobbly bits. I got it as clean as possible, sprayed the area with antibiotic spray and then gave her an injection of 2ccs penicillin and 2ccs streptomycin.

Harmony's abcess today: [​IMG]

Whisper's abcess today: [​IMG]

Whissy's one is amazingly better, it's scabbing up and the yellow stuff is the antibiotic spray I think. *sighs of relief*

if anyone has any suggestions on after care for abcesses... I've never had one before!!!!!!!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    i had that happen with Aspen - I haven't vaccinated her since.

I just kept putting wonder dust on it till it healed up as the flesh underneath was so raw and I didn't want an infection.

So far I think you have done the best things for it. Just keep up the good work.

That is so frustrating when you aren't home much though

3. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i have had mine get an absses where i have givin them there cd&t shot. i clean the area & then i flush it with peroxid . i take a syringe(minus neddle) & squirt it right in the hole. after ahile it will be all better. don't feel bad some of the best long time goat breeders will get one sometimes when they give them a shot.

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Flushing it out with peroxide is a must, also when all the gunk is out, we put goldenseal(and herb) mixed with olive oil and calendula in the abscess and that really heals it up.

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I get lumps with the CD/T ...always have, My eldest doe Bootsie is the only one to get an abcess every year! Flush it and keep it clean, heals up in no time.