The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Rusty
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning- I have four bred does (just confirmed yesterday) and I was thinking I would do my walk thru the pasture for anything dangerous to any of my goaties-I do that daily. So my farm is in a wooded area and I decided I would be on the lookout for any dangerous plants too, and went to one general Ag site and another more specific goat site and Oak Leaves were listed as poisonous to goats....WHAT??
That's just nonsense- my goats favorite treat is what we laughing call "Oak Snacks". When we trim our trees I always save the little branches with leaves on them and store the little branches in the same barn as my hay, and when I feel like giving the herd a treat- they would rather have those "Oak Snacks" than anything I could ever buy at a store. They eat them all the time and absolutely never have had one problem..Has anyone else ever heard of that?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't know why oak leaves are sometimes listed on lists of plants poisonous to goats. They love them, and I've never heard of them causing a problem. I know a gal whose property is full of them, and the goats eat them all the time. Red Osier Dogwood is another plant sometimes on those lists that our goats love, especially in the spring and fall, but not so much in the summer.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
A ton of oak leaves can be bad, but mine love to snack on them. I don't think snacking on them should be a problem.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
In the fall and spring that's 90% of my goats diet. So even in large amounts I'm not finding that true at all. Even new goats that I bring in and basically have a total new diet change don't even have a issue with it.

·
Rusty
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Goatie Potato Chips!

lol that's what we call them too!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts