The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ND who are eating a lot of oak leaves/branches of trees we have recently cut down. I noticed that since they have been eating these leaves (both green and.brown leaves) that when I bring them out of the.barn the next morning their urine is orangy/burnt orange color in the shavings). Is this normal? Should I just keep them in their small pasture area away from all of this until I can clear it all. Just want to make sure I'm not harming them by letting them graze on all that. They are eating and drinking like normal and have tons of energy.

·
Registered
29,973 Posts
Pine shavings can change the urine color. Oak should be in moderation. Im betting once they get their fill they will slow down. We rake up after our oak trees and feed a few good size piles to our goats. We also save some back after a few good piles then dibbie it out through winter.

·
Registered
468 Posts
If it's just a few leaves, it's ok, but I would not recommend making it the bulk of their diet. You might cut back or eliminate them from their diet and see if the problem persists. If it does, then you might need to consider they might have some other condition going on. A diet high in tannins can be harmful to cows and other animals, not sure about goats. Mine will browse on oak trees, but it's not a big part of their diet. Also, are your goats wethers?

·
Registered
29,973 Posts
A diet high in tannins can be harmful to cows and other animals, not sure about goats
Yes, a do beleive it's the same for goats. Oak is good in moderation.

Reactions: MadHouse and Momof6

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pine shavings can change the urine color. Oak should be in moderation. Im betting once they get their fill they will slow down. We rake up after our oak trees and feed a few good size piles to our goats. We also save some back after a few good piles then dibbie it out through winter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you. Yes they have just ran to the downed trees since they have been trimmed and before we can get them out of the pasture. They are given hay at night and sunflower seeds and oats every night as a.way to.get them into the barn at night.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it's just a few leaves, it's ok, but I would not recommend making it the bulk of their diet. You might cut back or eliminate them from their diet and see if the problem persists. If it does, then you might need to consider they might have some other condition going on. A diet high in tannins can be harmful to cows and other animals, not sure about goats. Mine will browse on oak trees, but it's not a big part of their diet. Also, are your goats wethers?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh I'm sorry I hit send too soon. No they have hay at night to eat along with sunflower seeds and oats that I give to get them in the barn at night. I couldn't find anything on this online so wanted to ask the experts here to make sure I wasn't letting them eat something toxic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts