The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my goats - ND love, love, love oak leaves but I have been finding some cocoons of sorts on the back of some, are these okay for goats to eat...I am sure a couple got by me when we take the does for a walk and they directly off the trees!
upload_2019-10-24_19-16-42.png

·
Registered
29,942 Posts
Those are wooly galls I believe which are caused by little wasp laying eggs on them. I have no idea if they are safe for the goats to eat..but I think I would try to avoid them just in case. Hopefully someone will chime in who knows more

Reactions: GoofyGoat

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Nope. Not a clue. The live oaks I've seen (Florida and the Carolinas) haven't had those points on the edges. They've been completely smooth. However, there are different kinds of live oaks, I don't live where they grow, and I haven't made any kind of study on them all.

But if the goats have been eating the leaves without harm, I wouldn't worry now about it.

I also can't help on the coccoons. But I agree with the above that the goats can avoid them. They manage to pick off bramble leaves and avoid the thorns...

·
Registered
282 Posts
To me it looks like California live oak, also called coast live oak, or Quercus Agrifolia (I didn’t know that part off the top of my head though, I googled it!). But yes, it’s caused by one of the various forms of gall wasps. There should be an egg or larvae inside there. I don’t know if the larvae are poisonous, but the gall itself is created by the tree.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Those look like the live oak leaves we have here. Goats love the leaves. They appear to avoid the leaves with weird things on them. Mine have lived on out property for 10 years with those kinds of leaves falling. Haven't seen any ill effects. The goats are pretty good at not eating the 'bad' ones here. I've seen them spit them back out and walk away. LOL

Reactions: mariarose
1 - 15 of 15 Posts