The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I need to get hay now and stock up before winter when prices jump. I got some alfalfa but now I was going to get some grass hay. I saw oat hay from the same seller and wondered if that is ok to feed to them?

Thanks,
@healthyishappy

·
Registered
577 Posts
I don't like oat hay. My goats would only eat the heads, leaving the rest. They got very thin when I fed it, and at the time, I just had easy keeper wethers. It also attracted rodents.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Varying guidelines exist on the level of nitrate that can be fed safely. Based on research trials, the following guidelines have been developed for laboratories that analyze for nitrate-nitrogen (NO3-N): Reported on 100 percent dry matter basis: NO3-N, ppm Comment <350 Generally safe for all conditions and livestock 350-1130. Generally safe for non-pregnant livestock. Potential for early-term abortions or reduced breeding performance. Limit use to 50 percent of ration for bred animals. 1130-2260 Limit feed to 25-50 percent of ration for non-pregnant livestock. Do not feed to pregnant animals - may cause abortions, weak calves, and reduced milk production. >2260 Do not feed. Acute symptoms and death.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Nitrate test? Oat, harvested green, is a very nice hay here. Do people use that much chemicals in America?
over fertilization is a contributing factor but stress is a bigger factor.
I found this on a MSU web site

Nitrate concentrations in forages actually reach their highest levels during the first several weeks after a drought is broken by a significant rainfall event. The increased moisture in the soil after a soaking rain activates bacteria in the soil and results in a large release of nitrate. The stressed plants take up the additional nitrate, but are unable to convert all of it to proteins. Therefore, if possible, restrict access to susceptible pastures or delay harvest of crops during the first few weeks after the end of a drought.

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
Yep, I feed it in the morning and alfalfa hay in the evening.
Except for late term pregnancy, then they get Alfalfa hay morning and evening.

I also use oat hay when I am drying off the does, when weaning. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts