Oatmeal and other soap questions

Discussion in 'Crafty Cabin' started by singinggoatgirl, Mar 26, 2019.

1. singinggoatgirl

singinggoatgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2016
    the deep south
    I want to make goat milk soap. Everyone keeps asking me if I will make a honey oatmeal bar. How does that work? Do you use dry oatmeal (that sounds very um... exfoliating) or cooked oatmeal (that sounds very gooey...) in bar soap?

Would honey just replace some of the water when I put it through a soap calculator?

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I believe you use oats like Quaker oats.

3. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    The bars I have had have rolled oats in them. They look pretty neat but they just kinda flake off when I use the soap, I don't think it really adds anything valuable.

4. singinggoatgirl

Apr 13, 2016
    the deep south
    Interesting. Thanks. Any ideas on the honey part?

5. singinggoatgirl

Apr 13, 2016
    the deep south
    Another question besides the honey: Do the clear plastic molds work? how do you get the soap out of them?

6. singinggoatgirl

Apr 13, 2016
    the deep south
    Ok. I just have all the questions! Help?

To do goat's milk soap, can I just pick a recipe (or use soap calc to make a recipe) and then straight substitute milk for the water without changing anything else?

What numbers should I strive for in soapcalc? How much cleansing will get dirt off little hands? I'm sure 0 isn't enough. What number range do you LIKE?

7. wifeof1

wifeof1 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2016
    Boulevard, CA
    You should use a soap calc. That way the end product is consistent.
    I run my oatmeal through the chopper a bit. Then decorate the top with a few whole oats.

omeomy07 likes this.
  8. singinggoatgirl

Apr 13, 2016
    the deep south
    @wifeof1 How do I use a soap calc, though? what number ranges are GOOD? sure, I can put in stuff and get how much lye to add to make soap, but I don't know how to use the rest, like the cleansing number.

Can I just use a recipe that works in a soap calc and replace water with milk?

9. wifeof1

Mar 17, 2016
    Boulevard, CA
    The soap calc should have an option for goat milk. There is a slight consideration for the fat in goat milk. My recipie is across the street at my Air BNB cause I sometimes make soap with my guests. I'll get that for you tomorrow. There is no consideration for the oatmeal. But there is for the honey. Sugars and lye make ugly colors if not done correctly.

10. wifeof1

Mar 17, 2016
    Boulevard, CA
    This is my always recipe.
    12 oz. Coconut Oil
    15 oz. Olive Oil
    13 oz. Lard
    13 oz. Goat Milk.
    6 oz. Lye
    Add Ins
    1 oz. Glycerin or whatever I want.

So basically, I freeze the milk. Then while the oils are heating in the crock pot, I slowly mix the lye with the frozen goat milk. Bout the time the oils get to 115 degrees, the lye and milk are well mixed. I add that to the oils and blend until light trace.
    Then I add my extras, it goes quick from light to medium trace.
    Then I pour into my prepared molds, spray with alcohol, cover with saran wrap then a heavy bath towel.
    Next day I remove the bath towel. The 2nd day I unmold and wait the 6 weeks to cure/harden.

cristina-sorina likes this.
  11. omeomy07

omeomy07 Active Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Georgia
    i made an oatmeal bar and just ground up the oats (quaker?) in a blade coffee grinder. you can also use a food processor. you want a fine powder out of it. i remember it being super moisturizing. this was like ~5-7 yrs ago though, let me try and hunt for the recipe

12. omeomy07

omeomy07 Active Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Georgia
    Master Batch: 24 oz veg shortening (I used Crisco)
    10 oz coconut oil
    10 oz olive oil

Recipe: 2 lbs 12 oz master batch (so all of whats listed above)
    13.5 oz water
    6.2 oz lye
    3 oz cow's milk (I'd run it through a soapcalc like Wifeof1 said though to see if it changes for goat's milk. It could just be a little extra superfatted. I guess it kind of depends on the breed of goat you have).
    4 tsp powdered oatmeal
    2 tsp powdered or regular honey

make it as CP, fits a standard 3# loaf mold. i did put a fragrance oil in it and nothing terrible happened.

if anyone makes this one let me know how it goes with the goat's milk! i haven't gotten around to making soap since moving states a few years ago but i feel like this was everyone's favorite. it's a shame i only made 3lbs.

cristina-sorina likes this.
  13. singinggoatgirl

Apr 13, 2016
    the deep south
    Thanks for the recipes! I've got those ingredients! I'm going to try it once my new scale gets here! Simple first, then oatmeal and honey!

wifeof1 likes this.
  14. singinggoatgirl

Apr 13, 2016
    the deep south
    So.... how do I cure it? open to the air? wrapped in saran wrap?

15. omeomy07

omeomy07 Active Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Georgia
    you want it to be in open air. you'll let it sit the day or so in the mold, cut, then put the bars in a space where they can get good air circulation. like, stack them side-by-side with a little bit of space in between them (not touching).

https://i.imgur.com/uDcFYAg.jpg

like that^^