oats

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by AlaskaBoers, Nov 28, 2008.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    there is a great deal for locally grown oats. do goats do well on oats? or is it just empty calories? i'm feeding pregnant does btw...

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    wow, thanks pam. hmm. so it has high energy - which is good for preg. does / show goats? correct me if i'm wrong

4. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Our goats get pure oats with their grain, they love it, and we've had no problems at all.

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I mix my own grain with the base being oats. i use very little corn and very little ingredients at all. Its justa mixture of rolled oats rolled barley rolled corn BOSS and flax seed. i dont like all the extra ingredients and processed grain by products that are in pre mixed feeds.
    beth

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    your welcome..Katrina...yes it sounds real good for the goats......in fact cob dry....has corn ,oats,and barley in it..... :) :thumbup:

7. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    I use oats in my grain mix.

8. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    My girls get oats in late pregnancy otherwise it's just grass hay with alfalfa pellets. They do fine.

9. Candy

Candy Guest

May 14, 2008
    Any thoughts about top dressing with commercial oatmeal? I have a 3 mo. old buckling that I just can't seem to keep weight on. He eats slowly but plenty and gets all the hay he wants. I feed a combo of 2 pts. Dumor Goat feed, 1 pt. Producer's Pride Sweer feed, and 1 pt BOSS. Everyone else is looking really good. This little guy is just plain skinny with very little energy. The vet came out & checked him out and suggested I keep him in the house so that I can moniter his feeding habits closely. I REALLY DON'T LIKE A BUCKLING IN THE HOUSE. He wears diapers held in place with a onesie---but---I REALLY DON'T LIKE A BUCKLING IN THE HOUSE.
    Candy :sun:

10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

did he run a fecal. What breed is he?
    beth

11. Candy

Candy Guest

May 14, 2008
    Yes a fecal was run. I had wormed with Ivermectin before and the fecal came back within normal limits. He's on B Complex 1X day sub Q. He gets Nutra Drench every other day and probios every day. Also has Sweet licks meat maker minerals free choice. He's a Nigerian Dwarf.

12. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    what feed do y'all feed lactating does? like dairy does that you milk for human consumption. At the moment I'm feeding a ready mixed grain that costs €10.30 for 60lb and she gets through that in about 2.5 weeks...

and also, how much do you all give a full sized dairy goat who's lactating?

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have a mix I do for mine. Oats, wheat, Milo Barley and Boss. Mine NEVER EVER get corn. I have been with to many top breeders of all different goats and they say that that the Corn will ferment in their rumen and cause more trouble. Now I am not at all saying that is true but I will never feed corn to mine. Look at all the goat chows that have corn.

14. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Another bad thing about corn is it can cause acidosis, and eventually severe bloat. i keep one bag of rolled corn in a bin and i mix it in with very small amounts. I found that if i take it out completly i end up with goats that are too thin. They get maybe a handful at each feeding. Along with oats barley boss and flax. beet pulp during the winter.
    beth

15. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i don't use corn anymore.. it made my milk taste like corn.. which is NOT TASTY!!!

but it did cause alot of tummy problems too

i use sarahs ( goathappy) feed mix and my goats are doing super well on it!

when i had our nubians i gave them about a pound of grain per 3 pounds milked. and they did really well. except she pretty much ate me out of house and home!! she milked like 10 pounds!

16. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    the problem being that in Ireland, things like BOSS arent available . . .

At the moment - as I think I said - I feed a ready made mix which is actually for lambs. It is 17% protein I think. A woman I was talking to at the weekend said that she just gives her goats the pelleted compound for ewes that you can get over here.

The thing is that Whiss eats so much grain and still remains thin :roll: I'm hoping to find something which means I can feed her less (because of the money) but she wont lose weight...

I guess it's hard because of the differing availability of items between here and the US.

LW

17. Candy

Candy Guest

May 14, 2008
    The BOSS that I feed is just reg. sunflower seeds that I give the birds. (black oiled sunflower seeds). You have to be careful feeding pellets for sheep because it has no copper. Goats need copper. I use 2 parts goat feed, 1 part sweet feed and 1 part BOSS. My goats keep a good weight on that diet. (along with all the hay they want). I don't know if this will help or not.

18. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    well the feed that they have had their whole lives doesnt contain copper as it's sheep feed - you cant buy goat feed here. They seem to do ok on it.

For the sheep I give copper injections half way through pregnancy so I do that for the goats as well - to prevent copper deficiencies in the babies.

19. Candy

Candy Guest

May 14, 2008
    Thanks for that info. It gives a whole new prospective to me. Isn't it amazing, how you learn new things every day?