The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oberhasli buckling got out, and might have bred my kinder doe. I don't think anything happened. If it did is the lute shot the only thing I can do? Does anyone know what that will do to milk production if anything? The buckling is about the same size as her, would it possibly be okay, as long as I don't grain her? My mom tends to think it will be okay, but I'm not totally convinced.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
well it probably will be ok unless you really dont want this cross. personally i dont like the lute shot. unless there would be huge probalems.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well it probably will be ok unless you really dont want this cross. personally i dont like the lute shot. unless there would be huge probalems.
I wouldn't mind the cross at all, but oberhasli's are much bigger then kinders, that is my concern. I'm wondering since he is just a buckling now and the same size as her, if this will be okay, or will the babies be too big for her.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
is she more the pygmy size? how old is she? since you are asking about milk I assume she has kidded before?

The big thing is to not over grain in the last month (the growing time) so the kid/s dont get to large. Ober babies are usually very long legged more so then pygmies but have fairly small heads.

As to the lute effecting the milk production - it will only put her into a cycle so if she usually drops production when she cycles then yes it could effect it in the same way, otherwise no its a hormone so it shouldnt effect the milk production.

You have to wait 10 days after the breeding to use lute or its non effective.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is she more the pygmy size? how old is she? since you are asking about milk I assume she has kidded before?

The big thing is to not over grain in the last month (the growing time) so the kid/s dont get to large. Ober babies are usually very long legged more so then pygmies but have fairly small heads.

As to the lute effecting the milk production - it will only put her into a cycle so if she usually drops production when she cycles then yes it could effect it in the same way, otherwise no its a hormone so it shouldnt effect the milk production.

You have to wait 10 days after the breeding to use lute or its non effective.
She is about 24 inches at her shoulder.. I'm not sure the size of pygmies... Yes she has kidded before.... Kind of makes me feel better that oberhasli's have smaller heads.... So maybe I'll try this without the shot and keep my vet on call if she does turn out preggo...

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You coulda just brought the buck back over to here to see if she showed any signs of heat. Flagging the tail, talking to him, smelling him. If she just ignored him then pretty good indication she wasnt in.
I actually did do that, and they just played, head butted and played chase, then they all started to play chase. That's another reason why I don't think he got her:)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would it be inhumane to just let it play out? I really don't want to use the lute shot because I've heard some negative feedback from it, but I've also heard good. I will definitely be keeping an eye on her for the next 18-21 days to see if she does come into heat again. I'll just hope she comes into heat again if she does, yay, if not well... I'll make the decision then....

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I agree, she should be just fine. And since she has kidded before, that is helpful also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts