The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I have posted this before. But I would like new answers.

I have a Nigerian Dwarf doe born in 2007. I bought her from a breeder last year. She was obese then, but not as a bad. Breeder said she was fat when she got her.
The breeder found her papers and now I would like to try and get a couple kids out of her, mostly to see what her udder looks like and if she would be worth keeping. It's hard to tell, but she looks to have pretty good conformation, but it's hard to see under all the fat. I believe she is cystic, so I would like to get some weight off her, see what she looks like, and then see if it would be worth spending some money on some Lute and Cystorelin to get her bred...

Right now the does get free choice alfalfa (she is the only fat doe, the others have no problem with it) minerals, and browse. I could put her in with the two bucks, who only get grass hay, but they might harass her. Is the only way for her to loose weight is to take her for walks? If so, how far should we walk her and how often. She's so fat she kinda waddles around like a penguin. :eek:

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She really should be in a dry lot with grass hay, no grain...no alfalfa...no extras. Just minerals and grass hay is what i'd do.
Should I put her in with the bucks, then? They are on a dry lot. I might be able to make her a make shift pen, but she would be by herself.

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
If they won't harrass her, i'd put them together. My bucks would constantly harrass any doe that comes in their pen, but with just one or two bucks sometimes they get along fine when they aren't in rutt.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here she is... :eek: I know she's got an udder, but I think it's a false udder. I got milk out of it, but we don't think she's pregnant. It's possible, though. We are going to send some blood into BioTracking soon though.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
She doesn't look obese to me! She looks kinda cobby, like my pygmy!

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
I think it is just a small case of saggy belly ;) You should see one of my Boer does! Of course, she is saggy AND fat! She cant be taken for runs because her joints are bad, because she is fat, because we cant take her for runs, because her joints are bad, because she is fat... :facepalm:

Body conditioning score is determined by the fat covering over a goat's body; not in their barrel.

(A picture of our fat, saggy doe. Excuse the silly stud muffin behind her!)

Attachments

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She is more than a saggy belly. She has fat in her udder, you need to poke and prod to feel her ribs, her TAIL WEB is fat.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Toytoy. That is why I am considering trying to get her bred. Neighbor said he could give her a shot of something (forgot what it was) so to clean out her ovaries and get her to cycle. So that would be no cost. But I am wondering if she is even 'nice' enough to keep, or if she would even take being as fat as she is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts