Odd feeling teats

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by NDinKY, Jun 12, 2020.

1. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    One of my senior does freshened yesterday morning. She had quints so I milked her a bit to syringe feed some of the smaller ones (plan on bottle training all of them as there is no way she can support 5 without help). When I went to milk her one side, at first the teat felt emphysematous, like it had little pockets of air trapped within the tissue. The other word that came to mind was crunchy. After the first couple squeezes the teat felt normal. No issues with milk flow and she wasn’t bothered with me milking. Any ideas why she would have crunchy feeling teats? Is this something to worry about?

MadHouse likes this.
  2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Test for mastitis in case.

Maybe get a vet to see her.

MadHouse and NDinKY like this.

3. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I’ll have to pick up a test kit. Once the milk was flowing they felt normal. It was just a weird sensation. No other signs of mastitis and kids nursing fine.

MadHouse and toth boer goats like this.
  4. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Maybe last season milk dried in the teat. As long as everything looks and feels normal now I would just keep watch.

MadHouse and NDinKY like this.
  5. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Oh congratulations on the babies!!

MadHouse, NDinKY and Damfino like this.
  6. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Congratulations on QUINTS!!! Very exciting!

I've had a few does with "crunchy" feeling teats this year too for some reason! It's exactly like you describe where they feel completely normal after a few squirts. I thought subclinical mastitis as well, but mastitis tests came back negative. It seemed to resolve a few days after they freshened so I haven't worried about it, but I did wonder what might have caused it. I've felt that sensation before in goats that actually were mastitic, but we haven't had any mastitis this year. Dried milk from last year is an interesting theory except that NYDinky is right--it feels like it's in the teat tissue, not inside the milk channel. Also, three of my girls are first fresheners and those are the ones I noticed the issue most with. Maybe it just took time for the teat tissue to soften up and become elastic?

MadHouse, NDinKY and happybleats like this.
  7. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Interesting damfino. Sometimes these goats just baffle us.

MadHouse likes this.
  8. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I haven’t gotten a chance to get the test yet but she seems totally normal udder wise now. No typical signs of mastitis and all 5 are nursing well. Normal temp and eating well.

It definitely felt like the tissue, but maybe it was from when she dried up and in the channel. There were no clumps or anything weird in the milk. After the milk got flowing they felt totally normal.

This is my second set of quints this year, it’s kinda crazy. I’m going to train them all on a bottle as there is no way their dam will be able to feed all them when they’re a little bigger. Her sister (with the other quints) is the better milker and I still milked her out to bottle feed her three doelings supplementally to give her poor udder a break. Those babies really beat the poor does up!

MadHouse and toth boer goats like this.
  9. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    I have a couple of does (twin sisters) who have crinkly feeling teats when I milk for the first 4 or so squirts. I have the daughter of one of them who has the same thing, and she was bottle raised pasteurized. It just feels like they get a bit of air in there and it "bubbles" (for lack of any better wording) when I milk the first bit of milk. Never had mastitis, or any off milk....just bubbly teats.

NDinKY and MadHouse like this.
  10. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    That’s exactly what it feels like. Seems better now, but I’ve not milked her since she’s feeding so many kids. No mastitis either, picked up the test.

MadHouse likes this.
  11. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    Could it have been calcium stones? Some are more prone to it than others

12. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    It didn’t feel hard like stones, just like there were tiny air bubbles in there (crepitus). Nothing gritty or really in there. Whatever it was, it seems to be resolved on its own.

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California