odd goat behavior ? for friend

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by StaceyRosado, Apr 3, 2009.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    A friend has 2 goats and one male sheep.

Peppy is aprox 1 year old Alpine. Luna/Kitten is just under a year old nigerian dwarf (daughter of SP my goat). Rammy is the sheep he is older - in his teens.

Peppy has begun to bite and eat the fur off the other animals. Rammy now has some patches missing. She is more mean to Rammy then Luna.

Any ideas on why she might be doing this?

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Stacey, I noticed that happening to my Liz before she died. I think the others new she was weak and they were trying to get the weak out of the herd.
    I was told that is what it was when i questioned the same thing when it was happening to Liz. It sounds like they are going to be loosing Rammy. Now is he the only one that Peppy is doing this to?

OK hopefully I am totally wrong and it is a dominance thing.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she does it a little to Luna she said but not as bad.

Rammy lost his buddy last fall - an older alpine wether. So it wouldnt surprise me if he is on his last leg.

4. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow ...I have never heard of that behavior........ :(

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    That seems to be an alpine thing, we used to have an alpine that did that. If somebody was in her way she'd grab somebody's skin and just snap it :roll:

7. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    Poor Guy maybe your friend could spray something on his coat that wouldn't hurt him but tastes nasty to goats. We used to put cayenne pepper on our dogs leg when he used to bite on it he didn't like the taste and usually left it alone. Not sure what would be a good choice to put on a sheep though.

8. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    Maybe try some Bitter Apple-they sell it at most pet stores.

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Alpines tend to be a little more agressive towards eachother then other breeds. They always want something better then what they have and then are constiantly picking at eachother.
    the does in my herd that are lower are constantly challenging the herd quessn, even thought they know they cant do anything about her.
    beth

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    my alpine cross, is really aggresive, towards everything...except me, but anyone else she goes after.

she's a :veryangry: goat ! lol.

but i dont think she's ever bitten anyone/goat.