Odd goat face

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by kannm, Mar 25, 2009.

1. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    We have a goat that stickes her face in her pee and then puts her head up and lifts her upper lip. She stands there with her head up in the air and her top lip up and out and you can see her toothless top of her mouth.

What is she doing?
  2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    she is probably in heat and thats normal for some goats. It means they like or dislike whatever they smelled

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Mine tend to do that more in the last couple weeks of pregnancy... but maybe it's just my does.
  4. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Both of my does and my wether go around smelling each others pee and doing the lip thing. I think it's hilarious when they're all doing it at the same time :slapfloor: Mine mostly do it when they're in heat but they do it sometimes when they aren't too.
  5. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I have a whether that does the upper lip thing to me. It's kindof freaky. Does this mean I'm in heat when he does this? LOL :ROFL:
  6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW I have to say I have neve see a goat do it besides a buck. :shrug:
  7. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    This is actually quite common in a lot of species...

it's called "flehmen"

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh yeah, I see mine do this all the time especially during breeding season. I do believe I read somewhere that it's testing the smell to see if an animal is in heat or just checking out a new goat. Kinda like reading the "status" of the other animal, if that makes sense. Horses do this a lot especially when a new horse is added to the herd or during breeding season and sometimes just when they want to "read up" on their buddy. Here's a pic of my gelding doing that after smelling one of my mares in season. Perfectly natural.
  9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :ROFL: :ROFL:
  10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

I do believe so. :scratch: :ROFL: :shrug:
  11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

they do it to lock a smell into their nose, usually inpecting what it is or a buck smelling an in season doe. Some does do it as well. We used to have a doe that would hunch up and act like she was peeing on her face like a buck does. She put her nose to her belly and then she would do the face.