Odd heat behavior

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by liz, Dec 17, 2007.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Well as posted previously about tips on breeding 2 does I don't know, and I thank each one of you who replied immensly, the younger doe was finally "attracted" to Chief!!!
    Heres the "odd" thing. I got off work 45 minutes early yesterday and went to feed and after all the commotion was over, I could hear this wierd "humming" noise. It had me baffled as I had the radio off and couldn't figure out what it was. I noticed the younger doe standing in the corner with her tail going like crazy and she was humming! Literally! I never had a goat do that! I figured the tail going was a sure sign of heat but the noise? I put the elder doe in a stall and let Chief out of his...well lets just say that in the time I was in the barn this sweet lil' doe was not being very lady like!! I left them together for the time til the next feeding and she had already tired of him...I contacted their "mom" and believe me when I say I never heard anyone so excited! We calculated a May 14 due date provided she settled. The elder doe is a few days away from her heat yet so I think the daily introduction of Chief is working, now if she's a "hummer" I know whats up! LOL. :D

I am so glad to have all of you here, because anyone else would think I was a pervert or something! :D

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    see I told yah they go from scared to scandalous in seconds almost! hehe

Glad to hear things are going well in that department.

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Humming..that is way too sweet!

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I was so hoping it would turn out that way Stacey! Scared lil' girls turning into lil' trollops! The elder doe should be showing at least some sign in the next few days..I HOPE! And Nancy, it was sweet once I figured out what it was! Like I said,it drove me nuts cause I thot I was hearing things! Never had my girls do that! It certainly sounded odd but it was almost like she was mumbling to herself! After all was said and done she quit doing the humming.

5. morganslil1

morganslil1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    north carolina
    Perhaps it was her version of singing. (grin)

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Humming? That's a new one to me :D :lol:

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    New to me also! Well, the elder doe was in raging heat when I got home today!! YIPPEE, Chief did the deed 3x in an hour (while I was filling hay baskets, not that I was "watching") He then lost interest and went on to eating so I hope it was enough! She wasn't humming, just flagging her tail off and trying to mount her daughter! Chief got some extra grain tonite for being a good boy! Now I can call their owner tomorrow with the "good" news and the probable due date of May 17th.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh thats awesome, see now you have experience with breeding this way.

I am sure their mama is super excited

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Experience it has been too!! I do hope that they settle, their mom is so excited for them to kid. Now I know that they do all the work and I just have to pay attention to the signs it really wasn't that bad! I just feel sorry for Hank, he knew they were here and couldn't do anything about it! :D

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Ok, this has me stressed a little. The elder doe has stood for Chief since Tuesday...mine are NEVER in standing heat for more than a couple hours....suggestions please! Why would she continue this behavior for so long? I know he's made "conmtact".

11. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    not sure why she would do that but I was wanting to make a comment about the humming doe...that is so funny!!!

12. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I have two that "hum" it is so annoying, as they are really loud!!! Azriel is CRAZY when ANYONE goes into heat. She tries to take the bucks "job" if you know what I mean.... :roll:

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have seen them stand for 2 days but never more then that - not sure what to say for your over lovey doe there.

14. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I think it is normal, I know Jacque has one that was in heat for over a week. I have had some stand for over two days.

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Well, he must have made her happy cause she wants nothing to do with him at all today!