The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I noticed a couple of um, ...that didn't come out in round balls, rather looking more like something a person would produce. I tried searching but don't know what terminology people might use to describe this. What does it mean?

·
Registered
31,519 Posts
your goats poop is more log like than berries? This could be too much greens or too much grain

Are they out to graze? is the grass wet? Most the time this will clear up as their tummy adopts to whats going on...it could also be worms...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
your goats poop is more log like than berries? This could be too much greens or too much grain

Are they out to graze? is the grass wet? Most the time this will clear up as their tummy adopts to whats going on...it could also be worms...
Yes. I live in the Smokey (dewey) mountains and get lot's of dew every morning so the hay they eat is often wet.

Also, I did find on some other posts something about alfalfa. When I told my breeder I had got hay from Tractor and supply she said something about how the alfalfa can be bad for them if they have too much and recommended Timothy. Don't know where to look for that but from what you guys are saying, it make be a combination of wet hay\straw whatever, and too much grain, which they get from sweet feed, yes? I may be over doing the sweetfeed in an attempt at endearing the goat that is still standoffish but coming around. Thanks again guys. I'll keep my eye on their byproducts, so to speak.

·
Registered
31,519 Posts
Giving some grass hay such as coastal 30-40 minutes before letting them out to graze will help too...they dont go out as hungry and by the time they do go out the sun has dried up the dew...also worm eggs travel up the dew on the grass blade and then goats eat that..so double wammy...wet grass and worm eggs ...a fecal might be good, just in case

·
I'm watching you
22,567 Posts
Try peanuts on your standoffish guy. They're addictive and good for the poo end being dry and slightly constipating.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try peanuts on your standoffish guy. They're addictive and good for the poo end being dry and slightly constipating.
Otay, I will try. He still won't eat from my hand although he has that look in his eye like "why can't I get some lovin too?", comes closer when I'm petting the other goat. Trouble is, ...Trouble (I have nicknamed him shaggy pants). He butts Poe away from the food and from me, yet Poe can't stand to be away from him. If I separate them, Poe is way too goatbunctious and doesn't pay me no attention. It's to the point now though that I know he'll come around. I just hope he does before I get fat eating all the treats he refuses. Peanuts are good though because I'm just about burned out on raisins, bananas and animal crackers.

His poo is back to normal but I could go for some peanuts.

·
Registered
31,519 Posts
Some just take longer but it sounds like you have his interest...WASA crackers from the grocery are great treats and they love them plus they are whole wheat so not bad for them ( the zoo in Abilene sale them to feed the animals lol, My son still teases that I feed my kids the same food the zoo feeds it animals) ...I won my most skittish doe with them...I couldnt get near her for nothing and she was born and raised here!...was over a year old when one day I found some stale WASA in the back on our cabinet...brought them out to the goats..she came just close enough to grab a piece and took off with it...after that any time I came out she was the first one to jump on me to see if I had any...took a bit longer to get her let me pet and love on her but we did it : ) still kicking myself for selling that one she was a natually polled boar/lamancha who NEVER needed her hooves done and NEVER needed extra wormer!! Yah...dummy me..but at least she went to a good home UGH...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts