Odd udder question pic added

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by crocee, Mar 14, 2009.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    OK our togg Tracy is supposed to be due on the 21st. I am doubting this date because she really has no udder size. Her udder is lopsided because she had 1 kid last freshening (last year) and was not milked out on the other side. The larger side is about the size of a small orange/lemon, the smaller one is really small. Nice sized teats on both sides with the one being slightly larger. This does not sound like a udder getting ready to feed a kid. Her right side looks pregnant but maybe its just big. Its larger and more out there than the left side, if theres a kid in there its just 1. I am thinking that maybe she absorbed the first breeding and is now bred to our buck and who knows when she might be due. Does this sound plausible? I will get pictures of her udder as soon as I can. I did shave her today so I could see what was happening. Needless to say I was a little disappointed in the lack of growth.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: Odd udder question

I agree that she had to have been bred and settled later...as a 2nd freshener and being "due" in less than 10 days, her udder should be a good deal bigger than what it is.

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

Thats what I was thinking. The udder is just not there. Tilly's udder was 3x this size 2 months before she delivered. I know shes bred cause I can see a kid kicking. Just don't know when shes due now. Oh well it will be nice to see what Jacob the Boer throws in kids. His daddy throws mostly girls :greengrin:

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

yes I to...agree... that she probably settled in later..... :wink: :greengrin:

5. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

OK I went out and took a few pictures of the toggs udder. Remember she is lopsided due to one kid nursing 1 side and no one milked out the other one. I am hoping she will even out a bit with this freshening. The larger side looks like an orange in a sock and the other is just a teat. Her original due date is 3/21/09. IF this udder is anything to go by, its not going to happen. If it does she better come into milk real fast or I will be forced into bottle feeding the kid. Can't be more than 1 with her size. This udder also appears to have NO attachments. She wasn't happy about the trim but I needed to see what was developing under all that hair. Shes got HUGE teats and yes the other one is that size. These may milk better once it comes in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She is filling up. As far as the "empty" side....you may or may not be able to get it evened out...if it does fill, once she delivers, milk her out very frequently on that side as the kid may want to take the full side first, if you do see this happening, milk the side that the kid isn't wanting, the more you take the more she will produce. Remember though that babies do nurse very frequently the first few days...taking a small amount each time, so if possible and you want an even udder , strip the low side out completely every couple hours, works on some though not others.

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

did she ever have a battle with mastitis?
    beth

8. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    She does look as though she could be dry on one side...
    LW

9. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    As far as I know she never had madtitis, I had asked her previous owner . I was told she had a single and it only nursed 1 teat and since she wasn't hand milked, it dried up on its own. I guess we will find out when she freshens. I really hope this is not a case of previous mastitis as it could come back if the bacteria/germ/virus is still in the tissue.

10. helmstead

helmstead New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Alfordsville, IN
    :sigh: Looks a lot like a scarred udder to me...hope not though! Strange...thanks for sharing pics. Keep us posted on how it changes!

11. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Shes not real good at posing for pictures but I am going to "attempt" to get a closer shot so you can see it a bit better. She likes to sit down on the stand so it will be interesting to say the least.

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Is that one side hard as a rock? or is it soft like a normal milk filled udder....?

13. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Its soft like a normal milk filled udder. No hardness at all.

14. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Im agreeing with helmstead on this one. Sometimes when a kid only nurses one side and the other side doesnt get milked out that side will basically back up. With the kid nursing her body is telling her she needs to keep making milk, its one thing if you do both sides at once and you make sure to milk a little out as the udder fills up slowly trying to dry her off. But when nothing is done about the side that is full it causes inflamation of the mammery tissue, eventually causes scar tissue or in some cases mastitis.
    how does that side feel? Is there a lot of hard feeling tissue? Just judging by the pictures the small side looks completly dry. And it could be that she will only ever make milk on the one side.

beth

15. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    See above 1 post

16. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    OK I got a couple closer pictures. The udder is all soft, no hardness, graininess, no scar tissue feeling, no nothing, just soft. The small side feels like it has some milk in it but not much, the other side feels like it has more. Both teats feel normal with no hardness at all. DH held her leg up so I could get better pictures. I hope these help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Her udder looks healthy....just lopsided due to lack of use on the smaller side. As I said, it may fill but not be as big as the "experienced" side.

18. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Hopefully it will even out a little. If not????? oh well, shes not going to be shown even though she is a registered doe with a lot of milk stars behind her. Right now her milk will be for family use only.

19. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    With diligence and very often milkings of that side, you may be able to get her near even.....when I say very often, I mean like every 2 hours thru the day for at least a week and then start going to every 3- 3 1/2 hours til you get her built up...it would mimic the kid taking from her and she will keep producing....you may be surprised with the amount she may produce just on one side, espeially with her dairy background.