oddball

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Graffogefarms, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms Active Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    Ok - Oddball was born in the summer, never really grew, and we are surprised he even survived this long. He is cream coloured with three black dots on his back. Anyway, I guess one of the brats don't want to say the other word moms, must have mangled his ear, and it got infected and went to his eye. I gave him antibiotics, and the next afternoon came back from school run to see him flat on his side in the muck! heidi his mom standing over him. Now he seems to be parylized on one side, and I have him in the hallway here for the past week. The first night he was able to walk around a bit, then he went down again, and couldn't get up, listing to one side. Got him on the meds, and am giving him raw egg beat into warm milk to drink and such. He doesn't have much of an appetite, but wanted to keep high nutrients in him. He nibbles at some roughage, but barely. Should I just bring him to have him put down - he does try to drag himself, and just before he did lift his head up for about 30 seconds. I have him propped up on boxes with a blanket, in what would be a more natural position during the day. He is urinating and passing berries still. I guess I am kind of hoping for a Christmas miracle. I said that if he pulled through he would be neither harnesss or meat - just a pet. He seems to have that rare fighting quality that you rarely see in goats - as they normally just give up. The eye did clear up -. He has been like this for about a week. With his willpower the way it is - should I give him a chance?

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Have you been working his legs, and massaging them? I would be worried the muscles are not going to work anymore. how about a fecal float? Have you checked that? Does he run a temp? Cough? Do you have a vet at all you can go to?

3. Graffogefarms

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    Vet would automatically put him down. Came down this morning and he had dragged himself to the bottom of the stairs. He had a good enough appetite last night, this morning not so much. I put a cardboard box under him so that he would be in as close to natural standing position as possible, i do move the legs, and there is feeling in them, as they do move the minute I touch them. He sometimes pushes himself off the boxes onto the floor. But his head seems a bit stiff, though the ears do twitch when you talk to him. I know I should probably put him down, but something is holding me back. Keeping praying that he will be either taken or turn the corner. If he turns the corner and gets better, he will be housebound here inside anyway with us for a few months He will end up being like the cats and dogs. I give him the warm drink every hour or so, but I have to hold his head up by the little horn. He is drinking and passing. His horns never grew beyond an inch. Thing that concerns me now -is the stools are a bit loose? Would that be from the sugar I put in the egg and milk mix?

4. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    The loose stool is probably from the change in diet, try to keep it the same as he ate outside if at all possible.
    It sounds like a broken neck, or some kind of back injury..Do you have access to herbs?? Boneset, comfrey, etc would greatly benefit. Tincture of arnica and comfrey would help as well if you can get some, give it every two hours..Don't give up if you think he will pull through!!
    BTW.. hello from soggy Oregon!!

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I dont think Eggs are right for goats - they are herbivores

I wouldnt be giving eggs

Try like a warm oatmeal instead -- its more of their regular diet.

I agree that the stool change is most likely from the change in diet especially since their bodies arent adapted to handle eggs.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    when you first seen the injury...did you clean the area and try to get as much yuck out.. then put something on it .?
    Does the wound look better ...or getting worse?

Take the temp first...it is important ....

Give vit B for appetite or give banimine... as it is great for swelling ... pain.... and appetite... if you suspect a spinal injury.....

I have to agree with Stacey.......

raw eggs may have Salmonella....which is not good ....stop feeding it ....as it may do more harm than good... :hug:

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
  8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  9. Graffogefarms

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    unfortnately Oddball passed on about 2 weeks ago - I did everything, but he never recovered. Had him in the hallway, I would turn him, lift him, move the legs,I even supported him on some cardboard boxes and blankets for his head gave him everything that I could think of that might help. He lasted just over a week after I found him on his side in the mud. Kind of miss him, he would twich his ears back and forth every time someone passed him in the hallway, and was alert till the last day or two, - I then heard the rattle in his lungs and knew it was just a matter of time. He never got back on his feet. I do admire his spirit, and posted on my facebook page about him (caprine scene) excuse the typos - Guinness the cat insists that he MUST constantly sit on my shoulder switching his tail and purring loudly. (Guinness came from paws for love at a adoption drive at petco in yorktown heights = yep we brought our animals from ny).

Anyway, oddball was a brave little soul, and a lot of people did shed a tear and followed his progress on facebook. Thanks everyone for your wishes.

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
  11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am sorry ...you lost oddball... :( ...sometimes no matter how hard... we try... we can't save them.... don't blame yourself.... he was well loved.....and taken care of... :hug: :pray: