The Goat Spot Forum banner

Off feed and grinding of teeth

2K views 31 replies 7 participants last post by  happybleats 
#1 ·
I have seen this before on here and tried searching it out on here but to no avail have I found it. Ellie, a one year + old bore goat that is in the breeding pen with the other nannies would not eat her feed this morning, I feed alfalfa and oats with a little boss mixed in. She had always been a stand off goat and I always try to feed her away from the other goats. After feeding the other 15 Nannies I took her pan of feed out in pasture to her and she came to it as usual and ate a bite or two so I left to go feed the wethers. When I came back 15 minutes later, she was standing over it looking at me approach. Her pan was still full as I left it. She walked off a little ways, popped a few pellets and started grinding her teeth. I am leaving for church now but when I get back, I am going to get a temp, give some probiotics and replamin and maybe a b complex shot or do you think i need to wait until evening feeding and see how she acts. Could the breeding cycle and being in the “bull pen” cause this?

#2 ·
Yeah, could be a stress tummy ache. Is she bloated at all? I would save the Replamin for whenever you usually give it. Do take her temp "just in case". I would do the B shot and definitely the probios. I'd also just offer her some baking soda and let her eat as much as she likes of it for the afternoon. Then reassess in the evening.

#6 ·
We had a time catching her in the pasture as she would not come into the barn to eat. After a while of herding her in to a trap to catch her I put her into a small pen. I gave her the probiotics and b complex before I took the temperature. One reason I figured with the running in hot weather it wouldn’t be accurate anyway. But when I got her penned up I did check the temp, 105.5 f. I figured high from the chasing so I left for church. When I came back over 2 hours or more, I check the temp and it was 105.2f. I gave a shot of banamine. Famacha score about a 2 or 3 . It was shady where she is and couldn’t see good. I did she her pop pellets while we were trying to catch her. I’ll check temp in the morning and if high, maybe a shot of Noromycin 300? Do this for 5 days? What do you think?

#7 ·
Yes I would start antibiotics. This time of year is common for pneumonia. 5 full days

Reactions: goatblessings
#10 ·
Can my other goats catch this from her? I have her in a separate pen but only fence wire separating them from her.

#12 ·
There is 2 kinds of pneumonia. Silent pneumonia or Interstitual pneumonia which is not contagious. This is one that goat seems fine until near death or dead.
Pasteurella pneumonia is contagious.

#13 ·
None of these she is close to has has the pasturella pneumonia vaccine. Should I give it now to the others near her? She hasn't had the p p shot either.

#15 ·
Just left pen, I gave her the Noromycin 300 3-1/2ml )76lb) and decided to take her temp. I don’t know why I did the shot first but O/A ent in to gear I guess. Temp was 101.5 f. Now is it the banamine dropped the fever or she just had other problems. Will check temp this again evening (first). If temp is still good do I keep with the Noromycin? Maybe just probotics and more replamin?

#16 ·
Banamine may have brought that temp down. I would di a full course of the antibiotics.

#17 ·
Okay, i will give shots every morning. it looks like she may have ate a little last night but not all of her feed. (alfalfa and oats) i will hold the oats to night for a day or 2 and give more probotics and replamin.

Reactions: happybleats
#20 ·
This evening temp was 102.3 f . She still hadn’t eat much. I gave her probotics and replamin. She gets 2nd Noromycin shot in the morning before I go to work. I’ll do another temp in the morning. Also should I give another b complex tomorrow evening?

#21 ·
I would do b complex daily until she is behaving normal again.

#25 ·
Cayenne pepper is a wonderful herb. It can help perk up a lethargic goat..sluggish new born. Offers b vitamins easily used by the body. Stops a bleed..and so much more. Its one herb i will always have on hand over all others.

Reactions: toth boer goats
#27 ·
I do a few ways..i have a tincture made for rapid needs..gets in the system quick..a pinch straight in the mouth sometimes with honey is my go to method otherwise.

#28 ·
What is your tincture and how it made? I'm headed to pens now to give Ellie some Cayenne and honey mixed. This stuff is hot with pepper, I hope I don't have a reaction from it. When you say a pinch in the mouth, you mean just between thumb and finger. not really measuring the amount? Is it better to rub gums or place on tongue? How often is this done. I just don't want to screw up. Sorry for all the ??????'s.

#29 ·
Yes..a pinch between finger and thumb. You can give more. Yes its hot..some goats feel the burn for a few and others don't at all. You can give this every often. As a perk me up for your girl..i would say 4 times a day. Emergency situations can be given acutely..but 4 times should be fine.

To make a tincture
Use organic cayenne pepper either fresh or ground

Aprox 1/4 cup organic cayenne to 1 cup Vodka or Apple cider vinegar

Place herb in a clean sterile jar..powder should fill the jar or fresh should be half filled. Top with Vodka or ACV. Leave about a 2 inch head space. Put the lid on. Set jar in cool dark place for 4-6 weeks. After this time strain peppers from liquid. Store your tincture in a cabinet away from light. I pour some into a clean dropper bottle
Alcohol tincture are good for 2-5 years.

#31 ·
Yes..a pinch between finger and thumb. You can give more. Yes its hot..some goats feel the burn for a few and others don't at all. You can give this every often. As a perk me up for your girl..i would say 4 times a day. Emergency situations can be given acutely..but 4 times should be fine.

To make a tincture
Use organic cayenne pepper either fresh or ground

Aprox 1/4 cup organic cayenne to 1 cup Vodka or Apple cider vinegar

Place herb in a clean sterile jar..powder should fill the jar or fresh should be half filled. Top with Vodka or ACV. Leave about a 2 inch head space. Put the lid on. Set jar in cool dark place for 4-6 weeks. After this time strain peppers from liquid. Store your tincture in a cabinet away from light. I pour some into a clean dropper bottle
Alcohol tincture are good for 2-5 years.
Quick question, if you only have a larger jar but want to make a smaller amount - do you have to fill all the way? Is it ok to have extra air space?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.