The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
RussellP
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2.5 yr old Kiko buck is acting really off. He is grinding his teeth audibly, he is lying down a lot with his head up. His eyes roll back in his head during what can best be described as mini or mild seizures. He stood to pick at some sweet feed. He seemed fine 2 days ago, but I know a Kiko will hide illness as long as possible. I am 300 miles from home and operating off info from my son. I will be home tonight but not able to get to him till morning. Any ideas? Anything my son could do until I get there and get him to the vet?

·
Registered
11,179 Posts
Do you have injectable B-Complex and can your son do a subqutaneous injection? If yes, he can give him 6cc per 100lbs give or take (extra is not harmful in this case).

Can your son get a rectal temperature and also check the goat's membrane color per chart below?

Also, have him watch closely for normal peeing and pooping and check if the goats belly is wet. Have him massage the rumen which is high on the goats left side just behind the ribs - is it squishy? Hard? Does the goat burp when he does it? Is the goat chewing cud while laying down?

Did the goat stumble or stagger when it stood for feed?

·
RussellP
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just heard that he no longer convulsing, just standing around mostly but foaming at the mouth.

·
Registered
29,936 Posts
sounds like he may have eaten something poisonous....I would try activated charcoal or milk of magnesia (15 cc per 60#), cd antitoxin and B complex....

·
Registered
29,936 Posts
I would pen him up and feed grass hay for now...nothing too rich....

do you have clover out in the browse...

·
I'm watching you
22,151 Posts
You guys have had a lot of rain haven't you? I would do charcoal and Di-gel or Maylox. This will cover poisoning and frothy bloat. MOM won't always break the gas bubbles up.

·
RussellP
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update, Moto appears to be back to his normal self. The night he was so sick, foaming and staying down my son was able to get the injectable B-complex in him and fed him some activated charcoal from the aquarium section at the store. Still not sure what happened or what fixed it, but thank you all for the quick responses. It is nice to have a neighbor farmer to bounce questions off of, but it is awesome and literally a life saver to have 5000 farmer friends from which to garner advice. Thanks goat spot squad!

·
Registered
29,936 Posts
Great..so glad he feels better!!..kudos for your son!! nice herd

·
merryoaks
4,249 Posts
Nice looking buck and his kids look good too:) Glad he's doing better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts