Off they go to the Auction Barn...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by mistyblue, Jul 15, 2009.

1. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I really hate to send these two girls to the auction barn but they are not selling for some reason and hubby says they have to go. So Thursday afternoon they will be loaded up and sent to spend the night.

I will not even be there Friday to watch them sell for two reasons. One my dog has a vet visit concern a possible tumor and two, I hate our aution barn, they are very abusive to all the animals.

Has anyone every had to send one of theirs to the auction and if so how did you handle it?

2. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I have never had to send any does to the auction barn. But i have sent a lot of bucks whethers. I never stick around to find out where they go. I know most if not all of them go for meat. I did pick up a doe at the auction a few years ago a skinny ober nubian cross that had her kids at the auction. I ended up losing both kids to some unkown something. But i nursed mom back to health and found her a home. So not everything goes for meat. But i know auctions are not the cleanest. And the people there usually dont have too much of a heart as they see so many animals there they just dont seem to care about them.
    beth

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    we dont have many ..if any livestock auctions except the 4-H one, but I wouldnt send a doe there, maybe you could try lowering the price and advertising more. does are more valuable than wethers and I'm sure I wouldnt allow anyone to handle my animals who are abusive.
    :(

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Can you offer them on craigs list for free? I myself would rather them go to a good home free then see them in a situation like that.

I have never sent one to the auction but i have several 4Hers that do and some how they always manager to go to a good home.

5. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I would but he says that it is time for them two go. I have advertised like crazy, just not of a market in my area for milk goats.

They are AGS registered does, I lowered the price down to 200 for the pair w/papers but not even a nibble. He is not going to let them go for free when we could make some back at the auction barn. Right now I would take what I paid for them which was 60 per doe.

They are a handfull though, both are wild and hard to catch, one has never kidded even though she is 4, we think she is bred at this time, just not positive about it, she was never with a buck before. The other gave me triplets this year with no problems kidding or taking care of them.

I would even do some type of trade for them, just to keep them from the auction barn. :sigh:

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    well go as low as you can to sell them, offer to make a trade, but I wouldnt want mine at the auction, never been to one, except 4-H. but it doesnt sound very pleasant. and your ags does are probably worth more than you'll get at the auction

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I personally, would try and sell them at $60 each before sending to auction...#1) because they probably won't get a great home or will be traumatized from the auction experience and #2) you probably won't get much over $50 each, if that, for them at an auction especially if the goat market in your area is really poor.

8. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    The goat market for meat goats is not to bad in our area, but as far as dairy goats forget it. I found out that I am one of the few dairy goat owners in approx 100 miles of our area.

I am going to try to see is I can plead their case for at least another weeks extension.

9. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    How far are you from me, Misty?

ETA: My thing still says Navasota but I just moved to Bedias.

10. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Epona, I might be further away then you would like to drive. Angleton is approx 138 miles from you, so about a 2 1/2 hour drive.

11. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Darn. Sometimes living in such a huge state can be difficult. :(

Try advertising on the College Station and/or Houston craigslist. There might be a better demand for dairy does in these areas, and people willing to drive that far. Registered stock is hard to come by in the area.

12. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    That's too bad. :(

Try Hoobly. http://www.hoobly.com/ And maybe Goatfinder as well. http://www.goatfinder.com/goatclassifieds/index.php
    I would definately try Hoobly though.

Not to butt in or anything (no pun intended) but could it be possible for you two to meet each other halfway? (sorry I am a big animal person and hate to see animals go to the slaughter house.)

13. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    It's POSSIBLE...but I don't know. We're trying to get settled into our new place; Friday we're borrowing my dad's truck and trailer to move all of our goat's to my friend's house to be boarded until our fencing is up. I said no more goats until the fencing is up but . . . it's hubby that would have to be convinced really.

I don't even know what kind of does these are! Lol. Shame on me. What breed are they, Misty? If I can't take them, I bet you I know someone who would want them. Lately here I've developed quite the local goat group of friends.

14. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    How far are you from Denton? I might be able to find them a home. Only problem is I have no money. :shrug: Definitely try to get that extension though. A sale barn just doesn't seem right.

Do you mind if I cross post this for you on another forum?

15. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Crissa, I do not mind at all if you cross post this and Rowdy thanks for those sites will be posting on those as well. Still fighting for that extension, I think I'm winning at this time.

Here are some photo's of the two girls. They are both AGS Nigerian Dwarf, and approx. 4yrs old.

Delanie -
    [​IMG]

Hallie -
    [​IMG]

16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    they are beautiful.. :love: ...I pray ...they find a great home ....and you don't have to take them.. to the auction...... :hug: :pray:

17. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh nice girls - lets hope someone can give them a good home.

18. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah, hope somebody gives them a good home!
    theyre cute!

19. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Misty - I hope you don't mind but I sent the pictures and an e-mail to a friend of mine who is adding new blood to her herd. I know that she is looking for does with your coloration, so here's hoping. If you PM me your e-mail, I can give it to her if she responds and lets me know she's interested.

20. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Epona that would be great and you have a message. I am working on him for at least a weeks grace but not sure how that is going.