Oh, baby! Baby goat pictures and request for postpartum dewormer recommendations

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Bekkidotes, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Bekkidotes

Bekkidotes Bekkidotes

Apr 18, 2017
    Iowa
    Hello, everyone!

Beyonce, our rescue goat, finally had her baby buckling! We thought for sure she had 2 or 3 kiddies in there, but nope, just one big healthy baby boy. :love: They are both doing so well, both happy and healthy and she is such a great mom.

20170723_175759.jpg 20170723_174006.jpg 20170723_173857.jpg 20170723_173839.jpg

Jeff thinks the dad must have been an alpine. I think he's probably right!

I do have a quick question about recommended dewormers for mama goat now that she has had him, though. I gave her an herbal dewormer about 2 weeks ago (Mannapro positive pellet medicated goat dewormer) and the instructions say to give her more 3-4 weeks after the first dose, which I was hoping would be right around her kid's birth date, but I was just guessing as she was pregnant when we rescued her.

Would you guys recommend my giving her another dose of Mannapro dewormer now, or waiting a week more?
    And can anyone recommmend whether it's necessary for me to give her a chemical dewormer as well and what types you prefer for new mothers? This is our first baby so of course we are excited and anxious for advice.
    I do have a new microscope and slides, but have never performed a fecal before and so am not quite sure how (but I sure can ask Uncle Google to teach me). Would it be best to go ahead and do a fecal now, or is getting some dewormer in her pronto more wise?

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Have a fecal done first. Positive pellet dewormer really doesn't work.

happybleats and Bekkidotes like this.

3. Bekkidotes

Bekkidotes Bekkidotes

Apr 18, 2017
    Iowa
    Thanks!

4. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    I don't deworm after kidding unless needed.

They are adorable :)

Bekkidotes likes this.
  5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    adorable baby....we always wormed new moms here...valbazen is a good post kidding wormer

nancy d likes this.
  6. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    The stress of kidding causes worm blooms. Either get fecal or shoot you best shot with chemical wormer.