The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Registered Boer goat farm consist of 6 goats
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soooo as I remember saying no more goats for the year but hey it’s a new year! We’ve been looking at some bred does that are bred to AABG snake oil but the does are commercial so more 50% girls but who can say no when they’re such chunks! We are thinking of only getting 1 bred doe and maybe one of her 100% registered yearlings which are also chunks!

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I mean I live life on the edge lol the person we're buying the does from said a guy was coming Sunday looking at buying all bred does so if he takes her then we chose this chunky dapple paint! She's only commercial but who can say no to a doe built like her:hubbahubba:
Dog breed Dog Carnivore Fawn Liver

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know what time it is so I may have been on Facebook and seen that this lady had 2 bred Boer does for sale and I may have also messaged her about them.... long story short she has a 6 year old doe well soon to be 6 that has always thrown triplets 2 does 1 buck most of the time, would it be worth it buying a doe already bred for end of the month kids but is older or buy a younger doe who would be ready to breed now

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Personally I would go with the older, experienced doe if she was confirmed bred over the young, untried does.

Reactions: Noisy Bottle Babies

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
She’s very nice! She does look like she’s standing out of frame in the first picture. This makes me believe she could have a “bulldog front” which isn’t within standard.

It’s hard to say if you should go with younger or older as everyone has different opinions. For example, we never buy old does as we tend to keep a very young herd due to our limited space. However, that isn’t the case for everyone.

Both have their risks. Buying young means they aren’t proven, however, their value could increase if you decide to sell down the road. Buying older means they are proven, but they will be retiring sooner.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She's very nice! She does look like she's standing out of frame in the first picture. This makes me believe she could have a "bulldog front" which isn't within standard.

It's hard to say if you should go with younger or older as everyone has different opinions. For example, we never buy old does as we tend to keep a very young herd due to our limited space. However, that isn't the case for everyone.

Both have their risks. Buying young means they aren't proven, however, their value could increase if you decide to sell down the road. Buying older means they are proven, but they will be retiring sooner.
I've actually never heard of bull dog stance before interesting we would definitely have to go see her in person before deciding, we actually prefer older does that we know don't give us problems kidding because comparing kids from this year the older does actually threw better kids than the first timers even if one or two had to be bottle fed they grew fast

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We actually decided to not get that older doe after seeing her the bulldog stance bothered me quite a bit but we have agreed to get a kid or two out of the same breeder as she had some amazing goats

1 - 15 of 15 Posts