The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This goat breeding thing can be frustrating. I CIDRd some does back in August. My doe "Grace" came in like she was supposed to when the CIDR was removed. We AId her. She was at the fair about the time she would have come back in and I saw some clear discharge and thought that was probably bad, but she has shown no sign of heat since then. I had her mentally penciled in as "bred". Yesterday she had some solid white discharge. Again, that didn't seem good. This morning she is hot in heat. What the heck? Why was the discharge solid white and not clear? I'm hoping God has my back as I'd rather her be bred to Status Quo than the buck I used back in August anyway, so I'm trying to stay positive. Her daughter Fealess hasn't come in heat at all yet. Next year I swear I'm going to run a vasectomized buck with the girls instead of this teaser buck system.

·
The more time we spend with goats, the wiser we be
1,625 Posts
From what I know the white discharge is the same as the clear discharge (only later on in the heat cycle).

Sorry, but I don't think they took. :( Best of luck!

Patrick

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I know the white discharge is the same as the clear discharge (only later on in the heat cycle).
Sorry, but I don't think they took. :( Best of luck!
Patrick
That's my experience as well, Pat. Usually the mucous goes from clear to solid as they progress through the heat. She wasn't in heat yesterday, but she sure is today. So that is weird. I agree. She's not pregnant.

·
14,615 Posts
One of my girls put out the thick white stuff, I think it was after she was covered & it was discharge not excess genetics.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One of my girls put out the thick white stuff, I think it was after she was covered & it was discharge not excess genetics.
Well this doe wasn't covered, so I don't know what it means. Maybe it had something to do with that cervix opening up with her about to come in heat. Grace had a terrible kidding last March and when we AId her in August my friend who does the AI thought she might have had some scar tissue on the cervix. Worrisome.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I don't panic anymore. Goats have taught me patience.
Unfortunately mine are teaching me patience. The weather this year has been totally whacked and does that should have started kidding the first of October are not even developing a bag yet. I'm 98% sure they are bred, but when they will kid is anybody's guess. I am concerned, I am very concerned!

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We tried to AI Grace this morning, but never thawed a straw. The mucous was so thick and we couldn't get in to the cervix. We drew blood and I'm going to send it in and make double sure she's not bred. When it comes back negative, I'm going to try a round of antibiotics. I'm pulling the vet into the conversation.

·
2,203 Posts
We tried to AI Grace this morning, but never thawed a straw. The mucous was so thick and we couldn't get in to the cervix. We drew blood and I'm going to send it in and make double sure she's not bred. When it comes back negative, I'm going to try a round of antibiotics. I'm pulling the vet into the conversation.
Did the cervix mucous feel like play-do?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts