Oh Darn! Hoof problem

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Di, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Well, thankfully, not life threatening. But my "I will not be caught under any circumstances" Cashmere doe got her hooves trimmed finally this morning. The wall is seperating from the sole, on her front feet. Only on one side of each foot. What should I do now? I trim every 5-6 weeks, but, this doe is really hard to catch and I left her go the last time.

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I've seen that happen before, what I would do is cut of the part of the hoof that has separated and douse her feet in bleach, the part of the wall will grow out in a calloused manner until the hoof part grows in the way it should. It will take awhile before you see improvement...but I would try and get her hooves done every 4 weeks so that you can moniter the progress.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I completely agree with Liz... :thumbup: ..I would also trim her more often.... :wink: :hug:

4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Yeh, if I don't want her she's right there. Darn! I guess I'll have to hide the nippers! Act like I don't really want her at all! :doh:

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Sorry Di.....but sometimes.... we are stuck thinking of ways.... to out smart the little buggers.... :scratch:
    because they know...... what to look for..... the next time around... :wink: :hug:

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I have had this happen on does I trim often. Some seem more prone to it. I usually put some iodine or blue kote on it after I trim away the part like Liz said.

7. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    Coppertox works well also. Make sure you trim all of the bad shell of the hoof completely. Douse well with coppertox. If it's wet, the coppertox will stay on the bad area longer than iodine.