What do you think he has?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,
Bear with me here,
I just bought a buckling (Ooooh boy) I knew he wasn't super healthy since he (and all of his goats) were really raspy and hacking(embarrassed) I know your probably going to say that i made a huge mistake, but with the way I am (#animal lover:inlove:) I just couldn't leave him there. Sooooo I bought him. Im not super satisfied but if i can get him in a healthier condition I think he will be stunning (or so i hope;)).
So before we brought him he gave him a shot of Draxxin.
We got him home and he hasn't left the trailer, later that day the guy texted and said that the goat that had passed away and was in the same with the one i bought had Coccidia, and BP worms. So immediately (after i panicked:eek:) I gave him Corid and Probios that night. (Friday).
Saturday he was treated with Herbal wormer and Corid and he finally ate some.
Sunday the same thing. And i took him out of the trailer on a lead and let him walk around a little bit, but did not come into contact or even look at any other goats. And Monday im going to start acute herbal dosing.
His appetite is pretty good now. His FAMACHA is a 2-3 maybe. But the only thing that concerns me is that he is still raspy and hacking, whenever he calms down his breathing is better but when he is scared or running or worked up its raspy and bad sounding. He gets lots of love and attention, but im concerned about his breathing. Any ideas on what could be going on? Anything i could do to help?
Thanks so much in advance!
~Evelyn~

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
God bless you for taking him! Don’t let him with your other goats until he test negative for worms and other diseases. please, for your own good

Corid won’t do anything for BP. Get a fecal, but the coccidia count wont be accurate. If it is high, definitley give some quest horse paste, Prohibit, Valbazen, whatever works for you

If he has worms, PLEASE! get him on some high protien grain. i cant tell you how fast their conditition goes down with worms.

For the hacking, Send a test to meadowmist for lungworm. take temp ASAP. If he has a temp, get him on nuFlor, Draxxin, even La200. dont let him live with pneumonia. That will kill them quickly.

be aware that it may also be allergies! If he has any eye or nosse discharge, note the color. if its clear, no need to worry! but if it is white, green, yellow etc, there is an infection going on.

Keep up Probios. 5cc daily. No need for anything stronger at the moment since we dont know how bad worms are, but if they are high, give a rumen bolus, or dark flat beer to keep his rumen happy.

If his worm load is high, he seems to be handling it extremely well! Which is a really good thing! That means you picked an awesome parasite resistant buck, which is a great addition to a herd!

Ill be back later! good luck!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Also, if you started CoRid, I *believe*** that you have to go for 5 days straight. Dont cut it short. Also DONT give b complex while giving Corid. It deactivates the corid

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
God bless you for taking him! Don't let him with your other goats until he test negative for worms and other diseases. please, for your own good
Well thank you! Okay, i won't, actually it never crossed my mind as an option!
If he has worms, PLEASE! get him on some high protien grain. i cant tell you how fast their conditition goes down with worms.
Sounds good, will do. Would a high protein of calf feed work?
For the hacking, Send a test to meadowmist for lungworm. take temp ASAP. If he has a temp, get him on nuFlor, Draxxin, even La200. dont let him live with pneumonia. That will kill them quickly.
Could i take a fecal to the vet instead? I don't really want to wait for the results.
be aware that it may also be allergies! If he has any eye or nosse discharge, note the color. if its clear, no need to worry! but if it is white, green, yellow etc, there is an infection going on.
Definitely not allergies, but thanks for the thought!
Keep up Probios. 5cc daily. No need for anything stronger at the moment since we dont know how bad worms are, but if they are high, give a rumen bolus, or dark flat beer to keep his rumen happy.
Sounds good!
If his worm load is high, he seems to be handling it extremely well! Which is a really good thing! That means you picked an awesome parasite resistant buck, which is a great addition to a herd!
Yaaaay!
Also, if you started CoRid, I *believe*** that you have to go for 5 days straight. Dont cut it short. Also DONT give b complex while giving Corid. It deactivates the corid
So would 6 days be better? Okay i won't.
Start on lots of garlic daily, everything said above, fecal fecal fecal, please!!
Can i feed him to much garlic? Yes, most definitely going to do a fecal!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Would a high protein of calf feed work?
Calf manna would definitely work! Any 18% protein grain would work
Could i take a fecal to the vet instead? I don't really want to wait for the results.
You will have to see if he does lungworm testing. Its a different test, but defiinitley ask! And make sure the vet knows what you are talking about!! Sometimes they just say they do!

So would 6 days be better? Okay i won't.
Its best if you did 5 days, then waited about 2 weeks (depending if he improved, if not, try toltrazuril) and did another round to help clear stuff out for sure.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
All sounds good...Fecals tell us what worms we need to get rid of
Temp tells us which direction to go.
If you can afford it..I would take the little guy to the vet. Get all the tests done and start off with a good vet relationship. If you can find a goat vet. The coughing can be allergies, cold, or shipping fever, or pneumonia. With.all your dealing with..all good advise from others.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Over medicating is as bad as under medicating. Do the dose as suggested and then if he needs a second round you can do it. Quest is a real life saver and our last resort for most worms, if the FAMACHA is a 5 or worm load is heavy, but a fecal is a MUST.
Okay thank you!!
Calf manna would definitely work! Any 18% protein grain would work
Okie dokie!!
You will have to see if he does lungworm testing. Its a different test, but defiinitley ask! And make sure the vet knows what you are talking about!! Sometimes they just say they do!
Okay i will do that.
Its best if you did 5 days, then waited about 2 weeks (depending if he improved, if not, try toltrazuril) and did another round to help clear stuff out for sure.
Sounds good! Thank you!!
I really hope you can save him! Do you have any pictures of him? Could he be suffering from any mineral deficiencies as well?
Me too!! I can try and get some today! That could be..
All sounds good...Fecals tell us what worms we need to get rid of
Temp tells us which direction to go.
If you can afford it..I would take the little guy to the vet. Get all the tests done and start off with a good vet relationship. If you can find a goat vet. The coughing can be allergies, cold, or shipping fever, or pneumonia. With.all your dealing with..all good advise from others.
I could afford that, but i want to take one step at a time. First the fecal to see what i am dealing with and a temp as well. Hope you understand!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Also do you have a weight. If he is over 22 pounds, i would give him a copper bolus if needed. You know the drill, loose minerals, salt, Minerals are his best friend right now! If you have any replamin, 5 cc for 5 days straight

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Oh yes I understand. The wonderful thing about TGS.. We all want to help and we share all our experiences all at the same time! Lol lol None of us want any goat sick, hurt, or in pain. And sometimes we can over do our efforts. You are doing great. Anything I say is just a suggestion. Please keep us informed on how you and your new guy gets on.

·
Fair-Haven
4,729 Posts
I personally would not feed straight calf manna - can give them diarherra - instead opt of a high protein pellet an mix in just a small handful of the calf manna. Start slowly..... any new introduction to grain. Give probiotics. I would opt for the vet with his breathing. Sometimes they can go down very quickly with upper respiratory issues.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh yes I understand. The wonderful thing about TGS.. We all want to help and we share all our experiences all at the same time! Lol lol None of us want any goat sick, hurt, or in pain. And sometimes we can over do our efforts. You are doing great. Anything I say is just a suggestion. Please keep us informed on how you and your new guy gets on.
Thank you for the encouraging words!! I will keep you guy's informed!
I personally would not feed straight calf manna - can give them diarherra - instead opt of a high protein pellet an mix in just a small handful of the calf manna. Start slowly..... any new introduction to grain. Give probiotics. I would opt for the vet with his breathing. Sometimes they can go down very quickly with upper respiratory issues.
Okay sounds good, I wasn't able to get calf manna but i was able to get an 18% feed.
The vet is going to call this afternoon for his respiratory problems.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
Get temp
Being raspy and hacking may be pneumonia. Did the breeder get a temp before treatment?

Draxxin is pretty strong, how long has it been since he was given it?.

Giving corid was smart to do.

BP worms, will have to be treated with a chemical wormer not herbal.

Give probitics a few hours after meds.

It is smart to get him moving around.

You may have to give an antibiotic which can be given daily, to keep up potency in his system to fight it off.
Goats have fast metabolisms.

Also giving banamine, will help the lungs.

Red cell, 6 cc's per 100 lbs if he is anemic.

Lungs can get scar tissue from pneumonia or lungworms if left too long.

Lungworms can be suspect as well.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did the breeder get a temp before treatment?
No, he didn't.
Draxxin is pretty strong, how long has it been since he was given it?.
3 days.
Giving corid was smart to do.
Thanks!
BP worms, will have to be treated with a chemical wormer not herbal.
Why's that? I talked to Kristie (LOH owner) and she said that it was possible, but i had to do the acute dosing.
Lungworms can be suspect as well.
What do you mean?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts