Oh Decisions, Decisions!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Itchysmom, May 24, 2010.

1. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    I put an ad in our local paper..looking for a Boer or Kiko buck to breed my doe to this fall. I got two replies.

First: a very nice older lady called and we talked for 1/2 an hour about goats. I told her what I was looking for. A meat type goat to breed my Sanaan doe to so I could get more of a meat type kid from her. She has a Boer/Nubian buck, mostly Boer. She said he throws really nice kids with lots of neat colors. I also thot I would try tanning hides and the colors are a plus! The wethers she butchered last year gave her a high percentage of meat to bone, even out of her Nubian does. She also said to come by any time and check out her facility and ask as many questions as I like.

Second: guy calls and says he has two Boer bucks. An older one, he thinks 8-9 years old. Rsgistered, which I don't care about. He said he got him last year as his buck was killed by one of his rams. He said if I wanted him he would sell him to me for $100. He also has a young, about a year, buck that he will be using this year. $25 to breed to him. He was sort of short, just giving out info on his bucks and I did not get the feeling that he wanted to talk goat. Never invited me to come out to his place and look at them.

Now, I was not looking to buy a buck, especially and older one at this time. So, if you were looking for a buck and had these two people to choose from, just from the phone conversations who would you choose? I will go to the lady's home and look around as she has had goats for 4 years and her aunt raised them when she was younger. She seemed to know what she was talking about and was super nice. I am still on the fence about the guy. Both will let me come pick up the buck and bring him to my doe.

I want to breed to a meat goat. So is a Boer/Nubian a good choice?

2. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'm sure someone here can give better advice than me. The ladies buck sounds nice. Do you know if she has any of his kids on the grounds that you could see? We have a boer/nubian cross doe <I've been posting about her in the Caprine Care section>, and since we've gotten her she has gotten really FAT, and she is 3-4 years old, same size as our boer cross does.
    I know there are a lot of people here locally that are breeding boer/kiko to bring in more meat. I've heard other people say they breed boer'nubian to bring in more milk? So maybe someone can say which is a better mix...
    Again, Molly, our boer/nubian looks about the same as the others when comparing her body.

Have you tried putting an ad in your local Craigslist? I love craigslist.

If you want to check out the guys bucks, that is certainly an option. BUT if it were me, I wouldn't buy an 8-9 year old buck. If I were desperate and couldn't find an alternative...maybe... I am new to goats, but still, I am leary of buying a goat that age.
    So, if your tempted, go out and check out the young buck and see what you think?

I love decision making...it can be such a pain! Good Luck in whatever you choose to do!

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sorry, but I personally would not buy an aged buck...or doe for that matter, you just don't know if he would be able to do his job or even if he would be healthy enough to last...age related ailments.Both giving you the option of taking the buck to your place is a plus, you can keep him housed separate until you see your doe in heat, keep him for another 3 weeks to be sure she settles then take him back.
    The lady who was very open with you that has the nubian/boer buck would be my choice, but with the nubian in the mix you would have a better chance of getting kids that have the udder genetics of the dairy breed, there is a member here that lives in Ireland, she hasn't been on for awhile due to her work BUT she has a nubian/saanen cross doe named Demi...if you go to the member list and look for "lesserweevil" check out her posts to see her goats, if anything you'll see what kids from your saanen doe will look like if you choose the nubi/boer buck.

4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Warning; Im not giving any advice cause on your oppurtunities cause Im here in Snohomish & raise mostly Boers. The Boer Nubian cross is a great animal!
    Have a few unreg does for sale as well as a 15 mo old buck for meat in a couple months once he & his wethered buddy are clear from last worming. We are getting rid of him because he is wobbly in the rear.
    Come see my gang!

5. ZipperDoo

ZipperDoo Member

Apr 18, 2010
    If you're looking for meat goats, I'm down in Winlock Washington. I have an ad up for Brick. XD Totally negotiable about him too. He just keeps breaking our fence trying to eat off his mom so it's imperative he find a new home. Already wethered and was wormed several weeks ago.

As for your inquiry, I'd go with the lady. IF... she has good bucks. Know what you're looking for and don't compromise on what you want to see in your future kids just because it's convenient... I'd call the other guy back and see if you could set up an appointment to see his as well, and then it's only a matter of picking the best buck for your wants.

6. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    We're also new to goats and the thought of getting a humungo mature buck scared me. I agree with everyone else on that one! I also love the pictures of the pretty polka dot boers, so unique and still meaty. I'd go look at the nubian boer and see if he's stocky enough for what you want. Our little 88% boer buck looks like part of the other 12% is nubian. He's getting brown polka dots on his ears and head in the black cape and it's cute! (Guess you know which one I'd pick!)

7. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Thank you all for your replies!

I live in Okanogan county, up above Oroville. I am afraid Snohomish is a bit too far.

I really do not want a buck at this point as I am not ready for that kind of responsibility. All I want is to breed my doe this fall.

When looking at a buck to breed to, what should I be looking for as far as a meat producer goes. I know to look at his get and see how they are growing, but what about the buck? Where does most of the meat come from?

8. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I'd go with the lady's goat. You don't want to buy an aged buck unless he is going to be used for his bloodlines. People who are willing to talk goats with you are better, because they are more willing to network. You may find out later down the line that she has a best friend who breeds so-and-sos and be a better fit for you in the future for your goat endeavors.

9. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Well, I decided to go and look at the lady's goats. I just got a nice feeling about her on the phone.. Very open and willing the help where she can. Thanks for your input everyone!

10. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Trust your instincts! If the lady sounds nice, and you have a good feeling, then I'd have gone with her too.
    Good Luck and you'll have to share how it went :)