Oh hay! Goats wont eat it

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Meepsforkeeps, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Hi all! So my goats have decided they are too good for any hay that I supply. I bought a bunch of 2nd cut orchard. They wont eat it. They also now wont eat the regular feed store hay. They are screaming at me and I am about to lose my mind. What do I do? Help/ tricks? They have browse, so they shouldn't starve to death..or will they? I'm just at a dead end here. They ate this other second cut that i got from a different supplier. He was rude and I just got it to try it after they had first cut from him..of course now hes out of first cut. They ate half that bale..and decided it wasn't for them.
    Also concerned that with all the noise they are making, someone is going to shoot them.

MadHouse likes this.
  2. Ana

Ana Active Member

Jan 29, 2020
    Gallatin TN
    I actually don’t know how to help but I decided to post a reply to make sure someone sees and helps you out;):hug:

MadHouse and toth boer goats like this.

3. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    I appreciate it❤

MadHouse likes this.
  4. Ana

Ana Active Member

Jan 29, 2020
    Gallatin TN
    No problem

MadHouse likes this.
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Can you get alfalfa hay?

If they are browsing, are you trying to feed them after they have already been out?
    If you can pen them away from browse, over night, they may be hungry for hay.

MadHouse, Ana and happybleats like this.
  6. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Have you checked the hay for anything that maybe mixed in? Do you change the hay out daily or leave til its gone? Is the hay fed off the ground?

MadHouse, Meepsforkeeps and Ana like this.
  7. Ana

Ana Active Member

Jan 29, 2020
    Gallatin TN
  8. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    I was up there telling them that we have all this darn hay and cannot be so choosy when it's starting to snow AGAIN. The one was eating feed store hay from my hand and I was opening up the bag (slow feeder) and the other one was eating from it. So I leave and they are back to incessant complaining. I really dont think there are any issues health wise happening here. They are just being jerks. The hunters out in the woods are probably so angry right now.

MadHouse and Ana like this.
  9. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    When I was mad yesterday I threw it on the ground in the run, they picked through it, but not chowed down. We have those net bags..and for the past 6 months they havent been a problem. I usually refill them morning and night as routine. The suspect major load of2nd cut orchard hay is totally out of the bags. But definitely on the floor in there. I legit was tossing all the hays..took her to smell every bale. Not interested. So we got feed store hay that I have mixed in before..they eat it. Checked all the hays..nothing bad. No mold and smell yum.

MadHouse likes this.
  10. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    I considered that. My nigerian may break the barn down though. I lock them up at night and the bags still had just about the same amount of hay as the night, in the morning.

MadHouse and toth boer goats like this.
  11. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    If I get alfalfa is it bad to just switch to that. I think there is a store that may have it.

MadHouse likes this.
  12. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I know we have to "fluff" the hay a time or two through out the day to entice the goats to eat it. We have hay baskets.. Maybe the netting doesn't allow them to dig through and choose the very best strand of hay. Sounds crazy but mine do it...alot end up on the ground.

GoofyGoat, MadHouse and Meepsforkeeps like this.
  13. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I would introduce alfalfa hay slowly as its richer/hotter than hay.

MadHouse and Meepsforkeeps like this.
  14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes, introduce the alfalfa slowly.

If the goats have horns, I wouldn’t use the net feeders.
    Bad horror stories about them.

15. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    They do have horns. But I felt it safer than the metal baskets. I was outside and they werent complaining. Maybe they just needed more reassuring that this hay was ok.

MadHouse likes this.
  16. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    But I am new to this also. The boss doesn't let the little one eat and it seemed a tad impossible to have 2 separate basket feeders for them. But I can try. I was also worried about the younger one getting her entire body stuck in the feeder
    But now that she is older and bigger and not as mischievous..I should consider switching

MadHouse likes this.
  17. Meepsforkeeps

Meepsforkeeps Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Fluffing was hopefully the answer! Hooray for now!

MadHouse likes this.
  18. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

I have 2 different kids of grass hay. My boys prefer one to the other, but for breakfast they get the un-preferred kind. They don’t get out of bed, because they smell which hay it is. But later on I see they ate some. When it is colder and they need to eat more they will eat lots of it.
    The screaming... are your goats young? Mine used to scream at me for getting something different.
    But I also learned to ignore it and it helped a lot. They watch you closely. If you lookl limke you might cave and bring something else, they will keep screaming.
    You could also talk to your neighbours and ask if they hear the goats. They might not even hear them. But you could explain that you are working on it.

19. Fro

Fro New Member

Apr 10, 2020
    Sneed Oklahoma
    My weathers wouldn't eat any hay until they ran out of grass to graze on.

20. jodane

jodane Active Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Alpharetta, GA
    We've found that our goats are very fussy. They don't like coarse hay. Sometimes even when the hay smells great, they'll pick through it and throw most of it on the ground. I'd suggest that you see if you can find another source for hay where you have more choices. buy one or 2 bales at time until you find something they like.

I've determined that it's cheaper to pay for a more expensive hay bale that they will eat, than it is to pay for a cheaper hay that they throw 80% of it on the floor.

Dee4, GoofyGoat and Meepsforkeeps like this.