oh help!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by StaceyRosado, May 10, 2008.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Hans (Aspen's son) has the sores on his tail/around his anus just like Rocky and Mason (both Destiny's kids). I am plegued by this and I am so closed to tears! :cry: :tears:

moral supported needed! and any help in this area!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am calling the vet in the morning. I want to lick this early! He was fine earlier today and then tonight (12:00am) I went out and he has these sores/blisters. Minuet looks to be close in getting them too :sigh:

ok so I treated them both as I did last year tea tree oil and nfs puffer. They cried like it hurt :tears: and now i know they will both hate me --- we were finally getting ot the point where they liked me again after disbudding them :cry: I am heart broken over this

This always happends at 10-14 days old.

I was coughing it up to something Destiny carried but now with Aspen I am not so sure.

Both does did come from the same farm :shrug: But they never show signs of issues and the guy never has this problem (called him) but I plan to call him also again.

I need some shoulders to cry on and some points of what to have the vet look into for me. I don't care how much it cost (ok I do) I want to get this over with! I want to know what it is!

OH why cant I make some money off my kids :GAAH:

Pray for Hans, Minuet and the others :pray:

2. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    since I wasn't on the list when this happened last year, not sure of suggestions. But I'm wondering if a dose of injectable invomec may help. I had a wether get blistery, scabby things on his back this late spring. No one else had it. Gave him injectable ivomec and he started to clear up. I'm also thinking it may be staph infection, but don't know what you could use for that. would have to research some for staph.

3. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    here it a pic of Mason's sores -- Hans looked exactly the same

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g231/ ... 5th008.jpg

Anything is worth a shot right now

BUT I have good news maybe :shrug: today it already looks better :leap: but I dont' want to get my hopes up that this won't last as long but it is an answer to my prayers. I litteraly didn't want to get out of bed because of it. :(

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Grandma gave me a tip!

First kid - Rocky - was told to stop giving electrolytes and gateraid water and he cleared up in 2 days.

Well I told her the whole story last night and she reminded me this morning that Hans and minuet GO AT the salt block.

I have this thing for giving/providing lots of salt :shrug: so I took the salt block out and I am hoping for good results.

The reason why salt is a problem is as there rumen starts to develope the extra salts and sugars upset the bacterial balance.

It is worth noting and I will let you all know how this plays out.

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    That is interesting that salt would do that, I hope you figure this out. Did Owen have it at all?

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no Owen did not.

Hans' sores are a little more but I am just still treating with Tea Tree oil and nfz puffer. Will see how this does.

A lady who is purchasing Kitten gave me a name of a vet she has used for her goats so if he is not getting better by Monday I will call for an appointment. Grandmom says to not worry about the money.

7. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Stacey- I think that this is an infection of some sort of bacteria (staph??) that clears up as the kids develop immunity to it. I think I have the same thing and I think lots of others have it too.
    I think it's one of those "tom-tom" things- many many many years ago when I was in school, a teacher told us a story about a group of people who where really terrified about an eclipse- when it started they ran to their wise man who told them to beat drums until the evil was driven away. The eclipse passed and the people found a new weapon for driving away evil- they beat the drums. Of course the moral of this story is that the eclipse was going anyway- it was just a coincidence the drums were beating. One thing does not connect to another.
    Probably a little care to insure the sores do not pick up a secondary infection is all that can be done practically. It will probably recurred in a smaller, less viralent manner then go away for good.
    If you do manage to find out what it is, plllllleassseee let me know- my vet refused to culture it saying the bumps were too small to get a clean culture.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well these bumps are not just bumps but open sores! So I think they can easily be cultured. Plan to call the vet on Monday and see what can be done unless there is significant improvement.

with an infection you would think that antibiotics would help. But no. I had them on pennicillin and Naxel with not results. This is internal of some sort or caused by something in my ground.

I will certainly be letting everyone know what i learn from this! It is so frustrating

9. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Dottie was on a course of Naxel and her bumps did not break out til the Naxel stopped- she was swollen on her rear end and the vet (and I) thought that she had some sort of infection becasue she had a fever (for a very short time.) I kind of felt that the antibiotic suppressed the skin infection so that it couldn't break out til the antibiotics stopped- but it could have been unconnected of course.

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Stacey, I'm so sorry you're going thru this once again! To me it definately looks to be an infection, perhaps caused by an allergic reaction? :shrug: I hope the vet can come up with a diagnosis.

11. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    that is definitely disgusting! I'm think infection too - and proably staph - I looked up staph infection in goats - didn't find anything that resembled that, but basically it is hard to treat. I had a staph infection in toenails on a fennec fox and it took years for us to figure it out and then I had to use antibiotics for 2 weeks and finally cleared up.
    Hope your vet can get a good culture on this next week. Just curious, do you ever get those abcesses that goats get?

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    haven't had any CL abcessed to my knowledge but I did have a goat with abcesses on her knees

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The abcesses on knees is more or less from abraded skin...I don't think I've ever seen a goat that had "fur covered clean knees", they end up callussed from wear...those that you spoke of Stacey were probably from dirt getting under the tough area and causing infection.

That on your kid definately looks like a staph infection, which are very hard to treat and he obviously grew out of it right? Maybe there is something in their environment that is causing the issue...which can be nerve wracking to try and find since every adult you have is perfectly healthy. :shrug:

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    he is now 90% better -- no extra salt in the pen.

I am so happy - maybe I can actually lick this thing without the vet :leap:

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I know how you feel about that! Glad to hear that he is better though, hopefully this was the cause.

16. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Wow this has got to be so frustrating for you. I hope you are able to figure this out.

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    pic from tonight - this one is actually Hans

Attached Files: